JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

04-04-2010, 10:34 PM

I did find footages of ceremonies in Japanese catholic church which is called Nanzan church.
Nanzan church is one of the most famous catholic church in nagoya district.

This is footage of 洗礼式( I don't know accurate name in English,maybe Baptism
ceremony?)
They say(or sing?) in old literary Japanese .
And from around 0:56 they repeat obviously "warera no tame ni inori tamae"(pray for us)
YouTube - カトリック南山教会・洗礼式2009年

On the other hand,they use colloquia Japanese for The Load's Prayer(not including "pray for us")
YouTube - 主の祈り
(#22 (permalink))
Old
fryc86 (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailhata View Post
I did find footages of ceremonies in Japanese catholic church which is called Nanzan church.
Nanzan church is one of the most famous catholic church in nagoya district.

This is footage of 洗礼式( I don't know accurate name in English,maybe Baptism
ceremony?)
They say(or sing?) in old literary Japanese .
And from around 0:56 they repeat obviously "warera no tame ni inori tamae"(pray for us)
YouTube - カトリック南山教会・洗礼式2009年

On the other hand,they use colloquia Japanese for The Load's Prayer(not including "pray for us")
YouTube - 主の祈り

wow. You definitely went above and beyond with the research. thanks

I'm not sure why they would switch from traditional literary language in one part to colloquial language for the other part. The only thing I would guess is that in Catholicism precise language is necessary for sacramental activity (which Baptism is). And for prayers, such as "the Lord's Prayer" it isn't needed as much, so perhaps more conversational language is used.

I tend to prefer a more classical/traditional style of things. As long as warera no tame ni inori tamae is a valid (albeit classical/literary) translation, then it should be fine for my purposes. I would like to have this written down as part of a gift and maybe the traditional language would be nicer than today's colloquial.

As long as this same literary style phrase doesn't have another different translation in colloquial language.

So referring back to one of your earlier posts on this topic:

"Classical Japanese language
我らの秋田の聖母マリアよ、我らの為に、祈り給え
Warera no Akita no seibo maria yo
Warera no tame ni inori tamae."

The bolded Kanji is a correct match? And is "、" just a comma and can it be removed?

Last edited by fryc86 : 04-05-2010 at 02:07 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

04-05-2010, 05:13 AM

Kanji is a correct match. "、"can be removed. As for "。" it is like a period in English.

kanji+hiragana combinations 
1 我らの為に祈り給え using kanji as possible
2 我らのために祈り給え KyleGoetz recommend (maybe close to official)
3 我らのために祈りたまえ
4 われらのためにいのりたまえ all hiragana

I tried googleing.All hiragana version 4 is not so usuall version.
There is not a big difference between 1,2 and 3. But it seems that version
3 is most used.I think you can choose from 1~3. 

I should say again,I don't know official translation.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
fryc86 (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2010, 07:03 AM

cool. I think I might go with 我らの為に、祈り給え (Warera no tame ni inori tamae).

It seems that you got it right in your first post, so I apologize for dragging this out for so long

Is there a difference in the order of the characters if one were to draw/paint them? I think they would traditional be vertical, but what if I wanted it horizontal (yokogaki???)

Would this kanji phrase need to be changed to be read right to left, or is it fine as is?

Feel free to drop out of the discussion at any time, you've already been a huge help, and I don't want to be a bother.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

04-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryc86 View Post
Would this kanji phrase need to be changed to be read right to left, or is it fine as is?
I don't hesitate to join the discussion again
All phrases I and KyleGoetz provided on this thread is written horizontally (from left to right).It's yokogaki. exactly same as English.
Vertical(tategaki) web page is so rare.It is difficult to write sentences in tategaki on the web.but try.

yokogaki
我らの為に祈り給え
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 89
 →

tategaki
我1 ↓
ら 2     
の3
為4
に5
祈6
り7
給8
え9
If this tategaki have second line,it will be on the left side of the first line.

Quote:
so I apologize for dragging this out for so long
You don't need to apologize.I could learn something new about Christianity in Japan.But I didn't expect over 20 posts
(#26 (permalink))
Old
fryc86 (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2010, 03:15 PM

awesome thanks. yeah I figured vertical writing would be pretty uncommon online I just didn't know what was customary when writing down by hand on paper (or wherever). And with the horizontal, if it should be right to left, or left to right when copying down.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryc86 View Post
awesome thanks. yeah I figured vertical writing would be pretty uncommon online I just didn't know what was customary when writing down by hand on paper (or wherever). And with the horizontal, if it should be right to left, or left to right when copying down.
copy it exactly the way you see it here