JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
thecatsproxy (Offline)
New to JF

"Jump into life" explanation in Japanese - 04-08-2010, 06:29 AM

So I have been trying to explain the English saying "jump into life" to a Japanese person but I can't seem to really get the full meaning across. Could someone help me try to explain this saying to them?

When you tell someone to "jump into life" you're telling them not to waste time... to go into life with all the energy and spirit that they can. To make the most out of their life as they possible can. If someone could translate this (and possibly add some more meaning in Japanese) that would be great

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsproxy View Post
So I have been trying to explain the English saying "jump into life" to a Japanese person but I can't seem to really get the full meaning across. Could someone help me try to explain this saying to them?

When you tell someone to "jump into life" you're telling them not to waste time... to go into life with all the energy and spirit that they can. To make the most out of their life as they possible can. If someone could translate this (and possibly add some more meaning in Japanese) that would be great

Thanks!
I have never heard that expression in English and really have no idea what it means.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Maybe explain it like this 充実した生活を送りましょう。Jyujitsu shita seikatsu wo okurimasho.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-08-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
First, I just want to say that I sure as heck have never heard this "English saying," and I am a native English speaker who is quite well-read.

That being said, 一生懸命に生きる means "to embrace life," so you could say something like 一生懸命に生きてください or 一生懸命に生きろう or 一生懸命に生きて or 一生懸命に生きな or something to that effect. However forceful you want the command/request to be.

Similarly, 現在を楽しめ is a decent translation for "carpe diem" ("seize the day").
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

04-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Let the person read this:

傍観者として人生を外側からとのぞくのではなく、人生 の中に飛び込んでいって一瞬一瞬を積極的に生きてほし いという意味の表現です。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

04-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Are you sure you don't mean "spring into action" or something of that sort? I have to admit, I haven't really heard the phrase in that sense before.