JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kamyee (Offline)
New to JF

beginners japanese help for exam please - 04-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Hi everyone, am desperate for some translation help. Just recently stumbled across this forum and it looks quite active so hopefully someone can help me I am a business student doing stage 2 japanese and I have an oral exam next wednesday. I really need some help on the following phrases. If anyone can help me with any of them that would be great (in romanji please)-
Did you do anything else there?(formal version)
Follow the road towards the traffic lights
Walking will takes 30 minutes, but you will want to hurry if you want to get there early
you might also want to check out the museaums, they have amazing things!
I can show you sometime this week if you aren’t busy?
My friend has a room to rent, it costs £100 a week.
I have heard good things (or reviews) about it.

Sorry if this seems abit too much or cheeky for a first post. I am just pretty desperate and the teacher wont help me either.

Thank you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-10-2010, 01:00 PM

I`m sorry, but I doubt you will get a lot of help with a post like that.
And it is really for your own good. You chose to take this class, and you are the one who should be figuring this out. Of course the teacher isn`t going to just give you the answers - we shouldn`t either.

If you want to come back with your attempts at the phrases, you will likely get a much better response. Asking for someone to correct your mistakes and for advice is quite different from "Do my homework for me!"

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyee View Post
Hi everyone, am desperate for some translation
I cut off the 'help' part of your post in the quote because basically you're asking us to do your homework for you. How about you show us your attempt first and then maybe someone will steer you right.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kamyee (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2010, 01:10 PM

Ok sorry didnt mean to come across rude. Here are my attempts or phrases which I think might be suitable or more of less mean the same, i must warn you it is quite bad. My partner had the advantage of making the english script to suit his needs (as he was given the criteria sheet by the teacher), which is why am struggling with it-

Did you do anything else there?(formal version)-Nanika hoka ni

Follow the road towards the traffic lights- shingo made massugu itte

Walking will takes 30 minutes, but you will want to hurry if you want to get there early-Sanjiyuu pun raikakarimas ga anato wa haiyades

you might also want to check out the museaums, they have amazing things! completely stuck on this one so will just leave it out

I can show you sometime this week if you aren’t busy?-Watashi wa shinshitsu o misero dekimas tara anato wa isogashiikunaides

My friend has a room to rent, it costs £100 a week.-Watashi no tomodatchi no shinshitsu ga arimas. Shinshitsu ha hyacku en des

I have heard good things (or reviews) about it. really stuck on this, only got the phrase kikimashita

thank you
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Ok sorry didnt mean to come across rude. Here are my attempts or phrases which I think might be suitable or more of less mean the same, i must warn you it is quite bad. My partner had the advantage of making the english script to suit his needs (as he was given the criteria sheet by the teacher), which is why am struggling with it-

Walking will takes 30 minutes, but you will want to hurry if you want to get there early-Sanjiyuu pun raikakarimas ga anato wa haiyades

you might also want to check out the museaums, they have amazing things! completely stuck on this one so will just leave it out

I can show you sometime this week if you aren’t busy?-Watashi wa shinshitsu o misero dekimas tara anato wa isogashiikunaides

My friend has a room to rent, it costs £100 a week.-Watashi no tomodatchi no shinshitsu ga arimas. Shinshitsu ha hyacku en des

I have heard good things (or reviews) about it. really stuck on this, only got the phrase kikimashita

thank you
1) What do you mean by 'formal version'?

2) 'shingo made' as far as I know means 'until the traffic lights' but this looks ok for what you want. you need to adjust the verb 'massugu' though. Think: what verb form is used for continuous doing?

3) Lordy, even your romaji is awful. Sanjyuu pun gurai kakarimasu ga anata wa hayai desu. This means more like "It takes about 30 minutes to get there but you're early." THINK! You wanted to say "Walking takes 30 minutes but you'll want to hurry if you want to be early," which is a pretty poor sentence in english actually, with two 'want's in it. Change the 'but' to a 'so' or a 'therefore' and 'You must hurry if you want to be early" Now break it down into components:
"By walking" "It takes 30 minutes" "therefore" "if you want to be early" "you must hurry"

4) smart. Stick to what you know and have been taught. I think you're trying to tackle a lot of grammar in all of these sentences that you haven't learnt well yet. Can you not just rephrase the sentence though? Don't think you need to do a direct translation of the english. That's usually a bad idea. Why not try "oh, the museums too. They're amazing!"

5) Watashi wa shinshitsu o misero dekimas tara anato wa isogashiikunaides
I assume you want to say "I can show you my bedroom if you're not busy"
Go and look up the phrase yokattara. It's anata not anato and you need to put the 'if' as an agglutinate form of the verb 'not busy', not as a separate word. This currently reads more like "If I am able to show you the bedroom, you are not busy".

6) Watashi no tomodatchi no shinshitsu ga arimas. Shinshitsu ha hyacku en des
Watch those partciles. Who owns what? Who's the subject of that first sentence. Also, seriously, you don't translate £100 as hyaku en. Go look up the exchange rate because you're offering out that £100 room for about 70P at the moment. look up the word for rent.

7) If you can't manage this sentence then try rephrasing it. What's another way of saying "I've heard good things/reviews about it"?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:

thank you
I'll let Columbine take point man on helping you out, but O.o you are getting ripped off, sir. Your romaji is unbelievably terrible (likely an education problem, not a laziness problem). You're typing letter combinations that don't even exist! I think you should fire your teacher.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kamyee (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Hi Columbine

Yeah sorry I know my romanji is bad, I've just quickly done it via sounds because my partner sent me the english script last night and I start work at 6pm so really in a rush. Thank you for helping me out.

1.Am not too sure what my partner means by formal version, but I'll stick to nanika hoka ni, which means 'Anything else?' i assume.

2. is it massugute imas?

3.Ill just say walking takes approx 30 minutes. Re-reading the script the next sentence is unnecessary. So is Sanjiyuu pun guraikakarimas still ok?

4. Yeah with this one, Ill just say something on the lines of also the museums are amazing.

5. For this sentence I am offering to show him my friends room that is available for rent. As the sentence before this one says 'My friend has a room you can rent'. Would this sentence read better-
yokattara watashi no tomodatchi no shinshitsu o misero dekimas. (If you like I can show you my friends room?) is shinshitsu the correct word for room to rent or would heya be better?

6.Oh gosh forgot about the rate. Yes thank you I will correct this one.I will use ichiman yen, £60ish, my partner made the figures up anyway....Am trying to say its my friends room. Dictionary form is Kariro so would it be karimas? Could I miss out the watashi no and just put tomodatchi no shinshitsu o karimas? >_<

7.I'll try work this one out, just looking through my books and past work sheets...

Oh dear. As much as I love learning japanese, languages arnt really my best ability.....

Last edited by kamyee : 04-10-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: edit more stupid mistakes
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kamyee (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I'll let Columbine take point man on helping you out, but O.o you are getting ripped off, sir. Your romaji is unbelievably terrible (likely an education problem, not a laziness problem). You're typing letter combinations that don't even exist! I think you should fire your teacher.
Its probably a laziness problem on my behalf tbh. Am rushing it and just going via sound and trying to roughly remember the words from my head. Naive newbie

edit to add- I apologize for not making it easier with my mistakes

Last edited by kamyee : 04-10-2010 at 02:51 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-10-2010, 03:26 PM

All we have are our words, so don't rush and don't be lazy. Take your time or people here will not take their time.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kamyee (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2010, 03:36 PM

I think my previous post got a little bit misinterpreted. Even though I believe the mistakes to be of my own fault and not my tutors am not meaning to make these mistakes on purpose and am just trying my best with the resources I have because the majority of my main study material is back in the city where I go to university. I am just in a rush because I have a part time job at weekends and other deadlines to attend to. Again I apologise for my mistakes and I really didnt mean to cause this much annoyance.

x