JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Furo (Offline)
New to JF

Bilingual literature - 05-03-2010, 04:00 AM

Hello together,

I am a beginner in learning Japanese and are also interested in Japanese literature. I would like to read some classical Japanese texts. I think novels are not something good to start with due to their length. I like Haiko. I found collections of Haiko that have been translated to other languages (in western book stores) and I found collections with original versions of Haiko in Japanese (in Japanese book stores). I wonder if there is literature available that is bilingual. It would also be good if there would be a third version in Hiragana/Katagana or romanji. Do you have any hints?

Kind regards
Furo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-04-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furo View Post
Hello together,

I am a beginner in learning Japanese and are also interested in Japanese literature. I would like to read some classical Japanese texts. I think novels are not something good to start with due to their length. I like Haiko. I found collections of Haiko that have been translated to other languages (in western book stores) and I found collections with original versions of Haiko in Japanese (in Japanese book stores). I wonder if there is literature available that is bilingual. It would also be good if there would be a third version in Hiragana/Katagana or romanji. Do you have any hints?

Kind regards
Furo
There is no way you will be able to understand Japanese literature of any kind if you're a beginner. You would be better served to read a textbook and very simple children's books.