JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kamikari (Offline)
New to JF

Question "Nerdy girl" or "nerdy boy" in Japanese? - 05-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Here in Europe people who are interested in anime/manga/etc are called otakus and it doesn't seem to be a negative word. But when I went to Japan a while back, it seemed as if otaku is a pretty negative word in Japan, describing someone who is overly obsessed in that kind of stuff. I know the girl otakus are called fujoshis and I can only imagine it has similar connotations.

So I was thinking, how would I call myself (or a friend) in a positive way but still so that it makes the other party to understand that me/they are into anime/manga/computers/technology/etc?

At least in my university circles (be it Japan related or not) "nerdy girl" is taken as a slight compliment by many girls and in any case nerd is a rather neutral word (because more or less everyone in my university are nerds).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikari View Post
Here in Europe people who are interested in anime/manga/etc are called otakus and it doesn't seem to be a negative word. But when I went to Japan a while back, it seemed as if otaku is a pretty negative word in Japan, describing someone who is overly obsessed in that kind of stuff. I know the girl otakus are called fujoshis and I can only imagine it has similar connotations.

So I was thinking, how would I call myself (or a friend) in a positive way but still so that it makes the other party to understand that me/they are into anime/manga/computers/technology/etc?

At least in my university circles (be it Japan related or not) "nerdy girl" is taken as a slight compliment by many girls and in any case nerd is a rather neutral word (because more or less everyone in my university are nerds).
I don't think there is such a word. You have to understand that once you get into this type of slang, there isn't always going to be a "word" that translates. The closest word for "nerd" I know is ガリ勉 (someone who studies often), but it doesn't have the same positive connotation.

It's like asking "can you give a word for fjord in English that isn't 'fjord'?" The only thing I could give you there is "a long narrow inlet of the sea between steep cliffs," which isn't even a single word.

And yeah, 腐女子 (fujoshi) is not at all a positive thing. It literally means "decaying female."

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 05-13-2010 at 02:29 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xHikariXCutenesSXAmex (Offline)
Alice Nine is life

05-13-2010, 05:11 PM

so I'm going to have to kick someone's.... Never mind.

Anyway, I'm glad this is here. I got called "fujoshi" and an anime con last year and had no idea what is was. Reading this, I don't think they knew what it meant either-- I wasn't even cosplaying. I was just taking pictures for my blog. (I did hug a Sasuke cosplayer because he was *hot*)

As far as I'm concerned, just say "I like anime". It works for me.

Alice Nine is Life
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kamikari (Offline)
New to JF

05-13-2010, 05:18 PM

Yes, I don't expect there to be a literal translation (and if there was, it probably wouldn't be what they'd use naturally).

More like how could I tell someone that I like anime/manga/etc without sounding like that it's my whole life? アニメやコンピュータが好む人 seems to me as a bit too long to be used in a conversation.

But of course if someone can tell me that it is actually the "recommended" way then I think it is what I'm looking for.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikari View Post
Yes, I don't expect there to be a literal translation (and if there was, it probably wouldn't be what they'd use naturally).

More like how could I tell someone that I like anime/manga/etc without sounding like that it's my whole life? アニメやコンピュータが好む人 seems to me as a bit too long to be used in a conversation.

But of course if someone can tell me that it is actually the "recommended" way then I think it is what I'm looking for.
アニメが好きです。that.

Yours says basically "anime, computer, etc.-liking person"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
nanicoar (Offline)
New to JF

05-13-2010, 07:10 PM

This doesn't seem to be a problem specific to Japanese but rather one of expression in general, perhaps I can help.

'Nerd' is most commonly used a derogatory term implying social inability and excessive focus on one thing to the neglect of others. More likely you will want to call yourself an anime geek, since geek became a positive thing in the '90s. Today it implies extensive knowledge on a subject and says little of social acumen, but the dictionary has apparently not wisened to this change.

As a rule you don't wish to talk ill about yourself or others in any language. With the Japanese context understood you can say you're interested in contemporary, modern or popular culture, visual media, namedrop some artists known for their skill or some you genuinely find impressive. This is an abstraction of something close to you and should imply enough for them to catch on or ask follow-up questions.
If you decide you want to mention Yu-Gi-Ho or Pokemon you're on your own, but with honest appreciation you're discussing art and the failure of others to meet you here implies they are moderately uncultured.

Know that making a good first impression is important and that you don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve amongst strangers. A person interested in foregin culture deserves respect, but people like otaku or fujoshi have usually done something significant enough to disclaim it and you should make no implication you belong to this category. If they ask you straight up if you like anime you shouldn't rant for half an hour about it, but rather give a short answer like 'some of it' and if they return to the subject you know they like it too. Over cultural and linguistic barriers a protocol like this aids communication even if it does slow it down a little.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanicoar View Post
This doesn't seem to be a problem specific to Japanese but rather one of expression in general, perhaps I can help.

'Nerd' is most commonly used a derogatory term implying social inability and excessive focus on one thing to the neglect of others. More likely you will want to call yourself an anime geek, since geek became a positive thing in the '90s. Today it implies extensive knowledge on a subject and says little of social acumen, but the dictionary has apparently not wisened to this change.

As a rule you don't wish to talk ill about yourself or others in any language. With the Japanese context understood you can say you're interested in contemporary, modern or popular culture, visual media, namedrop some artists known for their skill or some you genuinely find impressive. This is an abstraction of something close to you and should imply enough for them to catch on or ask follow-up questions.
If you decide you want to mention Yu-Gi-Ho or Pokemon you're on your own, but with honest appreciation you're discussing art and the failure of others to meet you here implies they are moderately uncultured.

Know that making a good first impression is important and that you don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve amongst strangers. A person interested in foregin culture deserves respect, but people like otaku or fujoshi have usually done something significant enough to disclaim it and you should make no implication you belong to this category. If they ask you straight up if you like anime you shouldn't rant for half an hour about it, but rather give a short answer like 'some of it' and if they return to the subject you know they like it too. Over cultural and linguistic barriers a protocol like this aids communication even if it does slow it down a little.
Alternatively, you could scream 冗談じゃないわよ, pull a hammer out of nowhere, hit the person calling you ヲタク, and mutter ばか.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kamikari (Offline)
New to JF

05-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanicoar View Post
...With the Japanese context understood you can say you're interested in contemporary, modern or popular culture, visual media, namedrop some artists known for their skill or some you genuinely find impressive. This is an abstraction of something close to you and should imply enough for them to catch on or ask follow-up questions...
Thanks. You understood my point and that is a good piece of advice. I think I'll be using something along those lines.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-14-2010, 02:42 PM

腐女子 is used almost exclusively to refer to girls who like BL. I think it would be very weird to translate it literally as "decaying female", even if that is what the characters themselves mean. It`s really a play on 婦女子, turning it into something negative.

As far as a non-derogatory way of mentioning your interest in "nerdy" things... I don`t really think there is a simple and easy way of doing it. Usually people just don`t go around advertising these things. Anime and manga are genres, not really looked at as specifically as they seem to be in English. Like, for example, you wouldn`t say "I like magazines" or "I like television programs". You would be more specific, as clearly you wouldn`t like ALL magazines just because they`re magazines, you wouldn`t like ALL television programs just because they`re television programs - the same goes for anime and manga. People usually don`t like anime just because it`s anime, nor do they like manga just because it`s manga.
This is why people who say they don`t like anime or manga (a normal answer from the average Japanese person) or who show a bit of hesitation about someone saying they like anime and manga may actually have a show or series that they adore. It`s not because it`s "anime" or "manga" - it`s a specific book/program.
Just think how odd it would be to have someone come up and tell you "I love magazines! Magazines are great!" Without any specifics, they would come across as flat out weird. But you probably wouldn`t think twice about someone saying "I enjoy reading fashion magazines" or "I always buy ***** when it comes out."

As for the computer/technology side - it doesn`t seem to be too common for girls to be really into that sort of thing. I have always found 元々IT系ですから・・・ to be the best way to explain the situation when I know how to fix friends computers or operate their brand new phones, etc. Or even こういうもの結構好きだから when it comes up. It doesn`t give any "obsessive" vibe, but makes it clear my interests.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-14-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
腐女子 is used almost exclusively to refer to girls who like BL. I think it would be very weird to translate it literally as "decaying female", even if that is what the characters themselves mean. It`s really a play on 婦女子, turning it into something negative.
That was more my point rather than to actually imply they think the women are decaying. I was just trying to indicate that it's not a positive thing. Although I think Shoko-tan (a notorious female ヲタク/タレント in Japan) does apply the term to herself positively in an interview with Akiko Wada: Dailymotion - Otakuology with Nakagawa Shoko - Part 1 - a Funny video

Quote:
People usually don`t like anime just because it`s anime, nor do they like manga just because it`s manga.
Haha, when was the last time you went to the United States? There are tons of people who are absolutely indiscriminate about their anime/manga here. But yeah, a Japanese person won't talk like that, though.

Quote:
it doesn`t seem to be too common for girls to be really into that sort of thing[computers].
Which I think is interesting considering computers didn't catch on in Japan like in the US because typing was and had always been seen as "women's work." I think this is why you see cute/pinup girls on the cover of computer mags in Japan like you do car mags in the US.