JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mrichardson623 (Offline)
New to JF

Letter to Japanese teacher - 05-26-2010, 01:32 AM

I am writing a letter to my Japanese teacher. He is returning home to Japan in two weeks. Does my letter make sense? Is it true to its English meaning?

English:
It is the summer now, so it is time to say goodbye. You were a great teacher and thank you for your hard work. My class was disrespectful to you, and I am sorry for this. Please send me an e-mail occasionally. I hope you enjoyed your stay in America. I wish you long life, happiness, and health.

Japanese:
Sukkari natsu raishiku natte mairimashita kara, natsu now yutsu desu. Boku ni oshiete kurete arigatou. Ishii sensei wa yokatta no sensei desu ga otsukaresama deshita. Watashi no dokyusei wa iijiwamashita kara, gomen nasai. E me-re wo tokidoki okutte kudasai. Boku wa anata no ryoukou no Amerika wo o楽 shimi kudasai. Watashi wa anata no kenko, choujyu, koufuku, seikou wo oinori shimasu.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrichardson623 View Post
I am writing a letter to my Japanese teacher. He is returning home to Japan in two weeks. Does my letter make sense? Is it true to its English meaning?

English:
It is the summer now, so it is time to say goodbye. You were a great teacher and thank you for your hard work. My class was disrespectful to you, and I am sorry for this. Please send me an e-mail occasionally. I hope you enjoyed your stay in America. I wish you long life, happiness, and health.

Japanese:
Sukkari natsu raishiku natte mairimashita kara, natsu now yutsu desu. Boku ni oshiete kurete arigatou. Ishii sensei wa yokatta no sensei desu ga otsukaresama deshita. Watashi no dokyusei wa iijiwamashita kara, gomen nasai. E me-re wo tokidoki okutte kudasai. Boku wa anata no ryoukou no Amerika wo o楽 shimi kudasai. Watashi wa anata no kenko, choujyu, koufuku, seikou wo oinori shimasu.
You should never use "tekudasai" to tell your teacher to do something. Your letter, if written in Hiragana and Kanji, is understandable grammatically, but there are quite a few culturally incorrect phrases that may piss your teacher off.

And you should NEVER call your teacher "anata". I mean NEVER.

Last edited by sakaeyellow : 05-26-2010 at 11:15 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sakaeyellow (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrichardson623 View Post

English:

Japanese:
Here is my suggestion:

桜の盛りも過ぎ、新緑がまぶしい季節となりました。
この度は、帰国されるとお聞きし、とても寂しく思って おります。先生に色々教えて頂きまして、心よりのお礼 を申し上げます。わたしたちはいつも失礼なことをして 申し訳ございませんでした。もしご都合が宜しければ、 これからも時々Eメールをお送り頂くのはいかがでしょ うか。先生に喜んでいただいたのは何よりです。
それては、ご健康長寿と幸せをお祈り申し上げます 。

Last edited by sakaeyellow : 05-27-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: 頂けまして>頂きまして