LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
Makio (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Makio Send a message via Skype™ to Makio
06-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Wow great 原(HARA) 力(TUTOMU) i liked it ! thank you ~

One day, a Malaysian went to Japan and ask a japanese for hotel room check in ... (they start the conversation)
A:I'm Mr. Aho from Malaysia and i wanna check into my room...
B:なに?あなたはあほ?
A:Yes ! why ?
B:むあははははは~!nothing ~
(#82 (permalink))
Old
sunowaka (Offline)
JF Regular

06-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berean315 View Post
Want to see if anyone to tell me how the two kanji 中風 came to mean paralysis?

Thanks for the help

Gerald
I explain this in English so hard....

中風 is Chinese medcine term.
中 meaning is "in" this case.It use 中毒(poisoning) another.
風 meaning is the bad one this case.It use 風邪(cold) another.

↓At the quotation destination(Japanese only)
中風 - Wikipedia
(#83 (permalink))
Old
sunowaka (Offline)
JF Regular

06-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I'm not sure that I understand this... are you talking about the number of kanji allotted for a name? I didn't know there were such strict rules on this. When you say 4 words, are you saying 2 for your first name and 2 for your last name? I've seen plenty of Japanese people with 3 kanji last names... I've also seen plenty of Japanese people with 3 kanji first names (especially girls).
You are not wrong
(#84 (permalink))
Old
Seele (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Japanese names are a big mystery for me. May be it's a little offtop, but since you're discussing names as a whole, I have a question that disturbes me a lot.))
There's a singer 田中聖 and last kanji reads like Koki, but in the dictionary there's no such reading for it, only せい & ひじり. And even when you write it on computer Koki doesn't become this kanji. So I have to write Tanaka Sei 0_0

Question: why is it read like Koki? I'm going crazy from it. x)

Well, so as not to be totally offtop, for my name Olga is オリガ or オルガ better? Or no difference?

KAT-TUN is LOVE
(#85 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-04-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seele View Post
Japanese names are a big mystery for me. May be it's a little offtop, but since you're discussing names as a whole, I have a question that disturbes me a lot.))
There's a singer 田中聖 and last kanji reads like Koki, but in the dictionary there's no such reading for it, only せい & ひじり. And even when you write it on computer Koki doesn't become this kanji. So I have to write Tanaka Sei 0_0

Question: why is it read like Koki? I'm going crazy from it. x)

Well, so as not to be totally offtop, for my name Olga is オリガ or オルガ better? Or no difference?
Regarding names, the Japanese Civil Law allows you to read any kanji anything you want them to be read. I assure you, though, that not many Japanese take advantage of this rule. I would say that less than 1% of all Japanese names have unusual, non-dictionary readings.

Olga is always written オルガ.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
Seele (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Regarding names, the Japanese Civil Law allows you to read any kanji anything you want them to be read.

Quote:
I assure you, though, that not many Japanese take advantage of this rule. I would say that less than 1% of all Japanese names have unusual, non-dictionary readings.
Glad to hear that.))

Quote:
Olga is always written オルガ.
Cool, because I love it more^^ but I've heard the version オリガas well, that's why I asked.
Origa - Wikipedia

Sashimister,
もう一度どうもありがとうございます。^^

KAT-TUN is LOVE
(#87 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seele View Post
Cool, because I love it more^^ but I've heard the version オリガas well, that's why I asked.
Origa - Wikipedia
[b]
That's the stage name for a singer so it doesn't really count. She (or her promoters) may have wanted something unusual.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-04-2010, 11:23 AM

This is an interesting thread, as well as odd that anyone foreign would actually expect that their name could be written in Kanji. The only "foreigners" of Japanese coming from an English-speaking country, I could maybe see getting away with possibly writing their names in Kanji (depending on the name) are Hawaiians for obvious reasons.

One girl I know from Hawaii actually has a Kanji for her family name. She discovered that when looking into getting a hanko. I do have another friend whose last name is "White", and for fun, she got a hanko with the Kanji character for "white", and she uses it with her students to show that her last name means the same as that. Her hanko for her given name, though, is in Katakana.

That aside, everyone else, just don't bother. Foreign names of Japan is usually written in Katakana, not Kanji.

My first name means, white-skinned
My middle name means, dedication to god
My last name means, son of bride

I doubt you could turn that into a Kanji compound and the reading actually making sense. lol