JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
berean315 (Offline)
New to JF

Useful i-Touch Apps - 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM

After trying several Japanese language apps, the four below are the ones I've found the most useful.

(1) Japanese
Well worth the $15.99 cost. It is a great dictionary that allows you to search from within definitions of other words you have looked up. Gives you example sentences, breakdown of kanji in a word, popular compounds, conjugations, can make vocabulary lists, etc. A great product that I highly recommend.

(2) Wakaru
This is a great app that allows you to read Japanese webpages. It is a web browser with a built in Japanese/English dictionary that allows you to highlight a word that you can lookup in the dictionary. Can also create study lists from the webpages you view. For only $1.99 this is a steal.

(3) Japanese Sensei Deluxe
This is a great app for learning vocabulary which seems to be my limiting factor in listening comprehension. I know enough grammar, but get frustrated on not knowing what a particular word means that I hear. Have various review and study methods (word quiz, sentence tester, particle quiz, memory test, word match). Comes loaded with 10,000 of the most frequently used words in Japanese. Also has built in audio that pronounces the words and example sentences. The word quiz will also say a word in Japanese that you have to choose from the list. Definitely worth the $15.99 I paid.

(4) World Bible
If you are interested in reading the Bible in Japanese, this has the Shinkaiyaku translation. I find this translation easier to read than the older Kougouyaku translation that some other Bible apps come with. Also comes with the popular NIV English translation as well as others. Well worth the $4.99 price.