JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   ~だもんね (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/32569-%7E%E3%81%A0%E3%82%82%E3%82%93%E3%81%AD.html)

StueyT 06-30-2010 09:26 AM

~だもんね

Hi all,

I have a friend on facebook who Pposted this line in a conversation:

明日仕事だもんね

I've not seen a sentence end like that. I am assuming the 明日仕事だ is exactly that, 'Tomorrow, there's work', and if I'm right...what is the もんね? This friend was female...

Sashimister 06-30-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StueyT (Post 817846)
I have a friend on facebook who Pposted this line in a conversation:

明日仕事だもんね

I've not seen a sentence end like that. I am assuming the 明日仕事だ is exactly that, 'Tomorrow, there's work', and if I'm right...what is the もんね? This friend was female...

Great. We're finally talking "real" speech instead of textbook sentences.

Both もん and ね are sentence-ending particles. もん is the colloquial pronunciation of もの, which is the "dictionary" form of the particle.

ものね is a casual way of describing a reason. (And since it's casual, it's almost always pronounced もんね.)  I don't know what the context was but 明日仕事だもんね would most often be used as the reply to a statement like "I have to go to bed soon."

So, it means something like "Right. You've got work tomorrow."

StueyT 06-30-2010 10:30 AM

Ah I get you, so it's like...

'I have to go to bed'
'ahh, thats right because you have work tomorrow don't you?'

Yeah?

Haha yeah, it's difficult at the beginning to recognise what are words and what are particles. But I seem to be able to tell the difference a bit more these days. Cheers once again Master Sash :o

Sashimister 06-30-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StueyT (Post 817851)
Ah I get you, so it's like...

'I have to go to bed'
'ahh, thats right because you have work tomorrow don't you?'

Yeah?

Haha yeah, it's difficult at the beginning to recognise what are words and what are particles. But I seem to be able to tell the difference a bit more these days. Cheers once again Master Sash :o

Exactly. Studying Japanese means studying its particles.

On a different note, the more casual the conversation, the more often you will use ん. You may have already noticed that, though.

For those who aren't familiar with this phenomenon, try writing the following phrases/sentences without usiing ん.

分かってんの?
オレんち来る?
サシミスターさんって、結婚(けっこん)してんの?
何食べてんの?
わかんない。
パンあんの?
きのうレディー・ガガを見たんだ。
きのうスミスんちでパーティーがあったんだよ。でもつ まんなかった。

delacroix01 07-01-2010 12:52 PM

Excuse me for jumping in, SMさん. Is this パンあんの? = パンがあるの? This is the first time I've seen this sentence.

Sashimister 07-01-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delacroix01 (Post 818081)
Excuse me for jumping in, SMさん. Is this パンあんの? = パンがあるの? This is the first time I've seen this sentence.

It would be は, not が. I didn't use the subject marker since this was casual speech.

パンあんの? means "Do we have bread?", more precisely, "Is there any bread left in the house?"

delacroix01 07-02-2010 05:29 AM

So I guessed the meaning right, but I got the wrong particle. Thank you for the correction. :)