LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
talycap (Offline)
JF Regular

07-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
OK, then for future reference, no one will realize that.

oh thanks for the advice n__n
(#12 (permalink))
Old
StueyT (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2010, 07:19 AM

I have a friend who is named the way she is because her parents chose the kanji of her father, friendship and child. Alot of girls especially are named for being a child, that's why so many Japanese girls names are ~~ko (~~子)

広島市は一番!
My Flickr
(#13 (permalink))
Old
talycap (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyT View Post
I have a friend who is named the way she is because her parents chose the kanji of her father, friendship and child. Alot of girls especially are named for being a child, that's why so many Japanese girls names are ~~ko (~~子)
yeah i notice that to but ther's another name i heard her name is "sunako" but when i saw the japanese manga ver. of it i saw that it's written na katakana how did that happned?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
StueyT (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2010, 10:52 AM

Sometimes names are written differently so that it is recognised as a name. My friend also writes her name in hiragana. It's just the way it's done sometimes. Also, in some mangas, it may be because the kanji used in the name is above the level of the target audience, or it may not be kanji that is taught in schools.

Roughly 2000-2500 are taught in schools, but I believe up to 10000 are actually in the language. It is common for unlearnt kanji to be in peoples names

広島市は一番!
My Flickr
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Roughly 2000-2500 are taught in schools, but I believe up to 10000 are actually in the language. It is common for unlearnt kanji to be in peoples names
One Chinese dictionary lists 100,000 kanji. However, only about 2–3,000 are in common use in Japan.

The Kanji Kentei level 1 tests about 6,000, and that's the most difficult kanji examination in Japan.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
talycap (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Sometimes names are written differently so that it is recognised as a name. My friend also writes her name in hiragana. It's just the way it's done sometimes. Also, in some mangas, it may be because the kanji used in the name is above the level of the target audience, or it may not be kanji that is taught in schools.

ah!!!!! i see so it depends on the parents ehehheh i'm catching up!!!! why do they use kanji any way???
(#17 (permalink))
Old
talycap (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
One Chinese dictionary lists 100,000 kanji. However, only about 2–3,000 are in common use in Japan.

The Kanji Kentei level 1 tests about 6,000, and that's the most difficult kanji examination in Japan.
i thoght japanese only learn 1000 to 2000 kanji
(#18 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-10-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talycap View Post
i thoght japanese only learn 1000 to 2000 kanji
You need to know about 2,000 when you graduate high school. Educated people learn more.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
talycap (Offline)
JF Regular

07-10-2010, 06:47 AM

still wondering why they use kanji
(#20 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talycap View Post
still wondering why they use kanji
I don't know. Why do you use the letters A–Z?

They use kanji because they started using kanji many centuries ago when they borrowed them from China. Pick up this book (Amazon.com: A History of Japan: Revised Edition (9780804820974): R. H. P. Mason, J. G. Caiger: Books) and you'll understand.

Essentially, China was advanced. Japan was not. Japan had no writing system. Japan's educated class borrowed kanji from China so they could actually write things (they used kanji to write Chinese, but also adapted kanji to write Japanese). Over time, many of the kanji they were using became very simple. We now call these "hiragana" and "katakana."

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 07-10-2010 at 01:50 PM.