JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mahala (Offline)
New to JF

Please help me translate this. - 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM

I need to know what this says. I found it on the bottom of an antique marble statue of an asian woman reading. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-07-27 14.26.27.jpg (65.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-07-27 14.28.07.jpg (131.9 KB, 52 views)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-28-2010, 02:48 AM

It says 捷比. Based on my searching through Japanese dictionaries online and searching Japanese Wikipedia and Google, I don't think it's Japanese.

But if you wanted some sort of quasi-translation based completely on the guess that it is Japanese (which I do not think it is): "victory ratio" or something. Google Translate gives it "Czechoslovakia ratio" from Chinese to English.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mahala (Offline)
New to JF

07-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Kyle, I appreciate your research! So interesting. Ill scope out the chinese translation. Thanks for typing the characters out for me.

peace and blessings
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahala View Post
Kyle, I appreciate your research! So interesting. Ill scope out the chinese translation. Thanks for typing the characters out for me.

peace and blessings
It does not look like 雅語印 as it is not in 篆書、also if it was a correctly made seal it should read from left to right, thus 比捷. It may be a name, but I agree with Kyle, doubtful it is Japlandese.
Also I am not 100% sure it is 捷.

In my opinion it's a person's name as in Georges Bizet, in Chinese 乔治(George)·比捷(Bizet)

It is quite often that Chinese characters are used phonetically for creating foreign names, so they can sound in, or cool. Right...

Anyways, in Chinese 比 stands for ....er, like in greater and the 捷 means victory. 比 has similar meaning in both Chinese and Japanese, meaning to compare. So in short, it could mean comparable to victory. Then again, another meaning of 比 in Chinese is gesture, so it also could mean a gesture of victory, thus V-sign. Make sure that you V-sign with the right side of your hand towards Brits lol.

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-28-2010 at 11:20 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-28-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
It does not look like 雅語印 as it is not in 篆書、also if it was a correctly made seal it should read from left to right, thus 比捷. It may be a name, but I agree with Kyle, doubtful it is Japlandese.
Also I am not 100% sure it is 捷.

In my opinion it's a person's name as in Georges Bizet, in Chinese 乔治(George)·比捷(Bizet)

It is quite often that Chinese characters are used phonetically for creating foreign names, so they can sound in, or cool. Right...

Anyways, in Chinese 比 stands for ....er, like in greater and the 捷 means victory. 比 has similar meaning in both Chinese and Japanese, meaning to compare. So in short, it could mean comparable to victory. Then again, another meaning of 比 in Chinese is gesture, so it also could mean a gesture of victory, thus V-sign. Make sure that you V-sign with the right side of your hand towards Brits lol.
Interesting. So long as Georges Bizet isn't renamed "Bidet," I guess it's all OK.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-29-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Interesting. So long as Georges Bizet isn't renamed "Bidet," I guess it's all OK.
LMAO nice one.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
mahala (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2010, 01:01 AM

This is great! Thank you.

I respect eastern culture very much. Victory- Indeed a word worth discussing in a philosophical forum.I would interpret the statue as representing knowledge as a sign of victory.

I'm glad I have not yet chosen to get a cool tattoo of my name in another language after a night of drinking.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahala View Post
This is great! Thank you.
I'm glad I have not yet chosen to get a cool tattoo of my name in another language after a night of drinking.
Oh we have seen many of these. In case you'll need a calligraphy for a tattoo I think I can help.