JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Please help me translate this. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/33077-please-help-me-translate.html)

mahala 07-27-2010 09:43 PM

Please help me translate this.

2 Attachment(s)
I need to know what this says. I found it on the bottom of an antique marble statue of an asian woman reading. Any help would be appreciated. :)

KyleGoetz 07-28-2010 02:48 AM

It says 捷比. Based on my searching through Japanese dictionaries online and searching Japanese Wikipedia and Google, I don't think it's Japanese.

But if you wanted some sort of quasi-translation based completely on the guess that it is Japanese (which I do not think it is): "victory ratio" or something. Google Translate gives it "Czechoslovakia ratio" from Chinese to English.

mahala 07-28-2010 06:17 AM

Kyle, I appreciate your research! So interesting. Ill scope out the chinese translation. Thanks for typing the characters out for me. :D

peace and blessings

ryuurui 07-28-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahala (Post 821749)
Kyle, I appreciate your research! So interesting. Ill scope out the chinese translation. Thanks for typing the characters out for me. :D

peace and blessings

It does not look like 雅語印 as it is not in 篆書、also if it was a correctly made seal it should read from left to right, thus 比捷. It may be a name, but I agree with Kyle, doubtful it is Japlandese.
Also I am not 100% sure it is 捷.

In my opinion it's a person's name as in Georges Bizet, in Chinese 乔治(George)·比捷(Bizet)

It is quite often that Chinese characters are used phonetically for creating foreign names, so they can sound in, or cool. Right...

Anyways, in Chinese 比 stands for ....er, like in greater and the 捷 means victory. 比 has similar meaning in both Chinese and Japanese, meaning to compare. So in short, it could mean comparable to victory. Then again, another meaning of 比 in Chinese is gesture, so it also could mean a gesture of victory, thus V-sign. Make sure that you V-sign with the right side of your hand towards Brits lol.

KyleGoetz 07-28-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryuurui (Post 821829)
It does not look like 雅語印 as it is not in 篆書、also if it was a correctly made seal it should read from left to right, thus 比捷. It may be a name, but I agree with Kyle, doubtful it is Japlandese.
Also I am not 100% sure it is 捷.

In my opinion it's a person's name as in Georges Bizet, in Chinese 乔治(George)·比捷(Bizet)

It is quite often that Chinese characters are used phonetically for creating foreign names, so they can sound in, or cool. Right...

Anyways, in Chinese 比 stands for ....er, like in greater and the 捷 means victory. 比 has similar meaning in both Chinese and Japanese, meaning to compare. So in short, it could mean comparable to victory. Then again, another meaning of 比 in Chinese is gesture, so it also could mean a gesture of victory, thus V-sign. Make sure that you V-sign with the right side of your hand towards Brits lol.

Interesting. So long as Georges Bizet isn't renamed "Bidet," I guess it's all OK. :)

ryuurui 07-29-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 821831)
Interesting. So long as Georges Bizet isn't renamed "Bidet," I guess it's all OK. :)

LMAO :D nice one.

mahala 07-29-2010 01:01 AM

This is great! Thank you.

I respect eastern culture very much. Victory- Indeed a word worth discussing in a philosophical forum.I would interpret the statue as representing knowledge as a sign of victory.

I'm glad I have not yet chosen to get a cool tattoo of my name in another language after a night of drinking.

ryuurui 07-29-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahala (Post 821846)
This is great! Thank you.
I'm glad I have not yet chosen to get a cool tattoo of my name in another language after a night of drinking.

Oh we have seen many of these. In case you'll need a calligraphy for a tattoo I think I can help.