LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Oh lol I am sorry, of course I meant mm.

Not sure about acid free, but it is a typical hand made paper, mistakenly referred to as rice paper, for calligraphy and sumi-e, which is what you are doing. Indeed it has one side smooth and another soft, and has long fibers. One side feels fluffy and slightly plush or rough to the touch. Its main characteristic is that any correction made to the work, even a split second later, will be visible as an overlay. I guess that is what you are after, right?
Ah, the PDF works perfectly, thank you!

From what I recall my teacher saying, if paper is made from wood-pulp, like mulberry, and isn't treated, then there are natural acids in the paper that make it go yellow as it ages. It goes brittle and thin paper doesn't last very well; also, when you try and back the piece for display (pasting another sheet of paper behind it) the acid in the paper eats the paste, which can make it mold, and the whole thing is ruined. Apparently there are some forms of sumi-e paper on the market where they don't treat for the acid, which is why you have to be careful. I would think if the paper is from Japan or a reputable trader though, it should be OK.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-02-2010, 12:08 PM

mhm washi is made of various things including mulberry, although not necessarily. It all depends on the maker. It boils down to actually going to the calligraphy supplies store and asking them about it. Next time I go, I ll ask, and then give you the prices.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
buckwheat (Offline)
New to JF

found a maker signature - 08-02-2010, 02:43 PM

I just returned and now had time to take more photographs and look closer at the suzuribako itself. Inside is profusely filled with gold flakes and while under lights I saw the gold signature hiding in plain sight.

I took a macro and converted the colors to bring out the calligraphy so you can see it more clearly.

Could you please attempt to translate what I believe to be the name?

domo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tias 8-2-2010 suzuribako (21).JPG (93.4 KB, 13 views)
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
I just returned and now had time to take more photographs and look closer at the suzuribako itself. Inside is profusely filled with gold flakes and while under lights I saw the gold signature hiding in plain sight.

I took a macro and converted the colors to bring out the calligraphy so you can see it more clearly.

Could you please attempt to translate what I believe to be the name?

domo
It says "Created by Kouun".
(#25 (permalink))
Old
buckwheat (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Thank you so much for the rapid responce. Your assist is most appreciated.