JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

Interesting Discoveries - 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM

So I've had a number of interesting discoveries of things while studying the last few hundred joyo kanji. As such, I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated solely to interesting little things we've noticed while studying. If someone were looking for a little inspiration to study that day, they could skim through this thread to get re-inspired. I know sometimes I get fatigued and just don't feel like studying a certain day.

So here is my inaugural contribution:

The difference between 油 and 脂 (both あぶら) in the kitchen is that 油 is the name given to oils/fats that are liquid at room temperature (olive oil, fish oil, etc.). 脂 is the name given to oils/fats that are solid at room temperature (butter, the fat on meats, etc.).

Source: http://www.mayu-c.net/shokuiku/2007/01/post_19.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 食育のスペシャリスト知識と雑学
「油」と「脂」の違い

脂質には油と<脂の2種類があります。

油とは‥…
室温で液体のもの(オリーブ油や魚油など)

脂とは‥…
室温で固体のもの(バターや肉の脂身など)

脂質はいくつかの脂肪酸が組み合わさってできています が
脂肪酸には、主に動物油に多く含まれる「飽和脂肪酸」 と植物油や魚油に多く含まれる
「不飽和脂肪酸」があります。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ponkikki (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2010, 04:54 PM

The way you distinguish a Kanji (which you should use in the cases) from another/others, would be often of help not only for Japanese learners but also for native Japanese.
Especially for an uneducated person like me. So please keep providing these kind of stuff that you think it to be efficient to learn the language (Kanjis).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
The difference between 油 and 脂 (both あぶら) in the kitchen is that 油 is the name given to oils/fats that are liquid at room temperature (olive oil, fish oil, etc.). 脂 is the name given to oils/fats that are solid at room temperature (butter, the fat on meats, etc.).
By the way, which Kanji would you use for あぶら when you translate this English sentence into Japanese ? (I am pretty sure you are already aware of this, but this question may be of help for those who read this thread.)

Which one (fish) is the highest in fat ?
一番あぶらが乗っているのはどれですか?

Sorry for my poor English, I hope you could get what I am saying.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkikki View Post
The way you distinguish a Kanji (which you should use in the cases) from another/others, would be often of help not only for Japanese learners but also for native Japanese.
Especially for an uneducated person like me. So please keep providing these kind of stuff that you think it to be efficient to learn the language (Kanjis).
By the way, which Kanji would you use for あぶら when you translate this English sentence into Japanese ? (I am pretty sure you are already aware of this, but this question may be of help for those who read this thread.)

Which one (fish) is the highest in fat ?
一番あぶらが乗っているのはどれですか?

Sorry for my poor English, I hope you could get what I am saying.
I think there you'd use 脂肪酸, which is "fatty acid." This includes polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat, saturated fat, and trans fats.

For a less technical term, Eijiro on ALC seems to indicate 脂身(あぶらみ): “fat”の検索結果(3775 件):英辞郎 on the Web:スペースアルク
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eijiro
This meat has a lot of fat in it. : この肉は脂身が多い。
Or maybe 油脂, which is basically "oils and fats"?

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 08-03-2010 at 05:34 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ponkikki (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Oh ! I am a bit embarrassed to see you go into the detail with such technical terms. You are so intelligent.
Yes, you use 脂 for あぶら in the sentence. 一番脂が乗っているのはどれですか?

and basically,
脂 for fats
油 for oils

I was not speaking of chemical terms but of daily use word(Kanji), since I thought someone who read this thread might be confused with "fish" and "fish oil".
But it seems to be apparent that I myself have been confused with "fats" and "oils". I apologize for bothering you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-04-2010, 08:29 AM

I find this thread interesting, so I think I should join in as well. Pardon me if I make any mistakes So basically we use 脂 to talk about fats originated from animals because the left radical of 脂 is a variant of 肉 (meat), correct? In my Kanji book (written in Vietnamese, which is my mother language), they also use this kind of explanation for kanji with this radical. For example, they explained 散 like "the act of scattering meat" (not sure if I translated it correctly), so the verb 散る means "to scatter".

Regarding 脂 and 油, I'm amazed to see another similarity between Japanese and Vietnamese. We also use 2 different words when talking about fats and oil, and the distribution of which word to use is pretty much the same, at least with my current knowledge.

Last edited by delacroix01 : 08-04-2010 at 08:32 AM.