JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

Do You Know the Words We Know? - 08-12-2010, 05:10 AM

Can someone tell me what these words mean? I know the answer, mind you.

The purpose of this thread is to show you that if you keep asking "What's the Japanese word for ~~~?" as a vocabulary-building method, you will never get to know many of the important words that every average Japanese knows and uses on a daily basis because you won't ever even wonder what the Japanese call something that is non-existent in your culture and/or language.

Consider my personal experience. It took me a decade since I started studying English to learn the simple, often-used English word "prom". Why? Because there is no such thing as a prom in Japan; therefore, I had never even wondered how to say it in English.

Anyway, enough ranting. Someone tell me what these words mean.  You can use anything. Please pretend that I know little Japanese.

雨男
雪男
晴れ女
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-12-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Can someone tell me what these words mean? I know the answer, mind you.

The purpose of this thread is to show you that if you keep asking "What's the Japanese word for ~~~?" as a vocabulary-building method, you will never get to know many of the important words that every average Japanese knows and uses on a daily basis because you won't ever even wonder what the Japanese call something that is non-existent in your culture and/or language.

Consider my personal experience. It took me a decade since I started studying English to learn the simple, often-used English word "prom". Why? Because there is no such thing as a prom in Japan; therefore, I had never even wondered how to say it in English.

Anyway, enough ranting. Someone tell me what these words mean.  You can use anything. Please pretend that I know little Japanese.

雨男(あめおとこ?)
雪男(ゆきおとこ?せつなん?)
晴れ女
Hehe, I really like the first one. "A boy who has bad luck with the weather"?
雪男 is apparently a yeti
But 晴れ女(はれおんな?). My best guess is a girl who is really open and friendly with people.

I'll post my own word I've heard of in Japanese that doesn't really exist in English, but there is an equivalent maybe.

Quote:
バックシャーン
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2010, 06:33 AM

I have to say the only one of those I've ever heard is 晴れ女. My wife says it about her self from time to time and I've heard other people say it about themselves as well. To me it basically means they are women who attract good weather, or something to that effect. Like for instance, despite the fact that it is raining the night before your vacation a woman you're going with will tell you it's alright. You might ask her, how the hell she knows that, and she will say "because I'm a 晴れ女".

I'm not one to believe in superstition and junk like that, but my wife really is the definition of a 晴れ女. When ever she says that it seems to clear up and get nice and sunny out for just the amount of time we need it to be! It really is amazing because it rains, even if just a little bit, almost every day here.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Here are the readings and meanings.

雨男(あめおとこ)
A man/boy who claims to bring rain to wherever he goes. These are regular dudes, not shamans, mind you. Just goes to show how much we like talking about the weather.

雪男(ゆきおとこ)
A yeti.

晴れ女(はれおんな)
steven above explained the term perfectly.

So, I obviously included 雪男 to make the question trickier and more fun. Use these words actively and surprise your Japanese friends! Naturally, we also say 晴れ男 and 雨女 as well. Also, remember to willingly talk about the weather if you want to please us.
_______

KyleGoetz brought up バックシャーン. (In recent years, it's more often written and read バックシャン.)

This is an unusual word in that it's a mixture of English ("back") and German ("schon") yet it's probably used only in Japanese. It means a person (esp. a woman) who looks much better from the back than the front.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
KyleGoetz brought up バックシャーン. (In recent years, it's more often written and read バックシャン.)

This is an unusual word in that it's a mixture of English ("back") and German ("schon") yet it's probably used only in Japanese. It means a person (esp. a woman) who looks much better from the back than the front.
The best equivalent we have in English is "butterface." It's slightly different, but the joke is that everything looks good "butter face" (but her face).

Obviously a sexist neologism if I ever heard one, but languages studies dictate openness about potentially offensive terms. In the US, men freely use the term around each other, but it's not something to be said in polite company.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-13-2010, 12:35 AM

Thanks KyleGoetz! That is very interesting.

Here's my new question.

1. What do the following pair of words mean?

ボケ
ツッコミ

2. Name an area where even regular, non-comedian people often speak to each other in this style.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-13-2010, 12:38 AM

Too easy for me...but if you know anything about me, that's a hint for question 2.

I was under the impression that 雨女 and 晴れ男 were commonly used, but not the other way around. Maybe it's a regional thing (?)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-13-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Too easy for me...but if you know anything about me, that's a hint for question 2.
I'd sue you if you answered this! My impression is that you're probably the ボケ type and I am, too, most of the time.

Quote:
I was under the impression that 雨女 and 晴れ男 were commonly used, but not the other way around. Maybe it's a regional thing (?)
Not sure about that. In both Tokyo and Nagoya, which are where I've lived, all four are used.

Yahoo Japan search results:
雨女 4,910,000
雨男 6,470,000
晴れ女 3,990,000
晴れ男 3,470,000
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-13-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I'd sue you if you answered this! My impression is that you're probably the ボケ type and I am, too, most of the time.
Ha ha! When I am with Kansai people I tend to ボケ, but when with Kanto people I tend to ツコミ. Often to their chagrin.

Quote:
Not sure about that. In both Tokyo and Nagoya, which are where I've lived, all four are used.
Interesting... I was told by someone from Osaka there is no such things as 雨男 or 晴れ女, but maybe she was a little old fashioned.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-13-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

That hint spoils the second question for me
I know of ボケ and ツッコミ, but I can never remember which is which... I have an inclination but I'll refrain from answering in case anyone else wants to take a crack at it.