JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Thanks again for the explanation. This is definitely helpful to me since I still haven't got enough chances to be familiar with this dialect.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-21-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
Thanks again for the explanation. This is definitely helpful to me since I still haven't got enough chances to be familiar with this dialect.
I think learners should only care about two dialects at most. Tokyo (標準語) and the dialect of where they live, assuming they live outside 関東.

Too many people learn a couple years of Japanese and decide speaking in 関西弁 would be übercool, ending up sounding really weird.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
08-21-2010, 04:48 PM

nice gags..
hearing it kinda nostalgic for me..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#14 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-22-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz
I think learners should only care about two dialects at most. Tokyo (標準語) and the dialect of where they live, assuming they live outside 関東.

Too many people learn a couple years of Japanese and decide speaking in 関西弁 would be übercool, ending up sounding really weird.
Well, up until now the dialect I'm used to the most would be Tokyo (still far from being able to fully comprehend what people say in this dialect sometimes though). I have no intention of trying to speak in other dialects. One reason is what you stated. The other reason is that it's harder for foreigners to speak in these dialects. But it's still better to know because it will help me understand what people says. You know, it's kinda irritating when reading manga or watching some TV shows and not being able to get the main idea of some lines due to lack of knowledge about dialects.

Last edited by delacroix01 : 08-22-2010 at 03:10 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
totallylost202 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to totallylost202
08-22-2010, 09:15 AM

I really liked this sketch. Like others who have posted before, I got all of it except some of the dialect.

I didn't quite get 全部付けんでよろしいよ。 I've never seen this before. I'm guessing it's another form of 付けなくてもいいですよ?

I usually listen to Hokkaido dialect, which isn't really so much a dialect, so Osaka-ben is a nice change for me.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-22-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallylost202 View Post
I really liked this sketch. Like others who have posted before, I got all of it except some of the dialect.

I didn't quite get 全部付けんでよろしいよ。 I've never seen this before. I'm guessing it's another form of 付けなくてもいいですよ?
You are guessing right. The tall man is really saying すべての文字(もじ)に「てんてん」を付けなくてもい いですよ。
"You don't have to dot every letter!"

Quote:
I usually listen to Hokkaido dialect, which isn't really so much a dialect, so Osaka-ben is a nice change for me.
Despite the great physical distance between Hokkaido and Tokyo, there isn't too much of a dialect in Hokkaido. This is because Hokakido was developed by settlers from the rest of Japan (mainly Honshu), each of whom spoke a different dialect. Once arriving in Hokkaido, however, they had no choice but to speak to one another in as neutral a way as possible for better communication. Over time this lead to the lack of a strong accent/dialect in the Northern Island.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Despite the great physical distance between Hokkaido and Tokyo, there isn't too much of a dialect in Hokkaido.
Indeed. My hostmother is ("was"? she's not my hostmother now, but she's still alive...the ambiguities of English!) from Hokkaido. About the only quirky thing about her speech was ゴミを投げる instead of 捨てる. I think this is a well-known quirk of Hokkaido speech.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-22-2010, 09:07 PM

This is hilarious

Speaking of dialects though, do they air this in Tokyo? I'm a Japanese native from Tokyo area (sorry to jump in), and had a bit of problem understanding a couple of places due to their accent. I didn't get the first お邪魔します... "か" and it took me a second before it dawned on me that it was "父親似" because the way he said it was "父親に (to father)" in 標準語.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

08-23-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Speaking of dialects though, do they air this in Tokyo? I'm a Japanese native from Tokyo area (sorry to jump in), and had a bit of problem understanding a couple of places due to their accent. I didn't get the first お邪魔します... "か" and it took me a second before it dawned on me that it was "父親似" because the way he said it was "父親に (to father)" in 標準語.
No, they don't air this in Tokyo, at least not on any "free" channels, which is a pity. I gew up in Nagoya watching this every Saturday afternoon together with a couple of other wacky Kansai shows.

Just to make sure, you do now get the お邪魔します gag, dontcha? It's like when we hear someone say something starting with おじゃ, we kinda automatically assume he will be saying お邪魔します, which is a statement. Then when you hear it in the question form with か at the end, you'd go "Why is that a question?" since no one says that with か in real life.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
No, they don't air this in Tokyo, at least not on any "free" channels, which is a pity. I gew up in Nagoya watching this every Saturday afternoon together with a couple of other wacky Kansai shows.

Just to make sure, you do now get the お邪魔します gag, dontcha? It's like when we hear someone say something starting with おじゃ, we kinda automatically assume he will be saying お邪魔します, which is a statement. Then when you hear it in the question form with か at the end, you'd go "Why is that a question?" since no one says that with か in real life.
Oh yeah, I realized it was "か" and got the joke right after I heard the following "「か」は要らないですよ". It's just that "か" sounded a bit, mmm, like "かぁー", and it was an unusual sentence, so I was like "was it たぁ? がぁ?". I think most Tokyo people pronounce か a bit more crispier.

I once heard a Kansai comedian saying they "Tokyonize" their accent when they are on Tokyo TV because people in Tokyo don't understand Kansai accent well, and I was like "yeah right", cause I understood all the ちゃいます and other Kansai stuffs, but I guess my listening comprehension really is not as good as native Kansai and Tyubu people. Shame they don't air it in Tokyo though. It sure is funny. Thanks for the link!

Last edited by cranks : 08-23-2010 at 03:45 AM.