JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Applestar (Offline)
New to JF

Post A few questions ` - 08-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Hi everyone! After browsing the Japan Forum, I had a few questions on what would be best to learn the Japanese language.

I've enrolled in a beginning Japanese class for the fall quarter at my University. The required textbook is Genki. I've heard both the good and the bad about this textbook, and would like to know what you all thought of this textbook!

Over the summer, I've studied Hiragana and Katakana (though, I need to review them more so I can read and write them without pauses or those 'thinking moments' haha)! -- Using resources like Smart.FM, an old textbook my dad kept (from Korean to Japanese), and flashcards.

What resourses have you used to study Japanese? Which would you recommend fellow learners to use? Which are an absolute no-no?

Thank you! ^^

Last edited by Applestar : 08-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applestar View Post
Hi everyone! After browsing the Japan Forum, I had a few questions on what would be best to learn the Japanese language.

I've enrolled in a beginning Japanese class for the fall quarter at my University. The required textbook is Genki. I've heard both the good and the bad about this textbook, and would like to know what you all thought of this textbook!

Over the summer, I've studied Hiragana and Katakana (though, I need to review them more so I can read and write them without pauses or those 'thinking moments' haha)! -- Using resources like Smart.FM, an old textbook my dad kept (from Korean to Japanese), and flashcards.

What resourses have you used to study Japanese? Which would you recommend fellow learners to use? Which are an absolute no-no?

Thank you! ^^
There are about a thousand threads discussing this very topic already. Please use the search function. It is much faster than asking, and we get tired of answering the same question over and over.

Regardless, welcome to JF!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Toastyzeus (Offline)
JF Regular

08-22-2010, 06:26 AM

To answer your question:
Smart.fm - 世界最大級英語学習コミュニティーサイト
Japanese Grammar Guide | Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese

Obento Deluxe Textbook
Obento Supreme (Workbook)
Obento Supreme (Textbook)

Buying Obento Senior (Workbook)
Obento Senior (Textbook)
Next year.

Other than that, Jforum and my Japanese classes

EDIT: Japanese Core 2000: Step 1 on Smart.fm

Last edited by Toastyzeus : 08-22-2010 at 06:32 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Applestar (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2010, 07:46 AM

Thank you both! :)

I've been using Smart.FM and Kim's guide! I've also recently started to use Japanesepod101 as a supplement (though, it's only a free 7 day trial ;_; )

I really did underestimate learning the Japanese language, haha.. I find Kanji difficult to memorize and also knowing when to use Kanji or Kana.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Toastyzeus (Offline)
JF Regular

08-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Tell me about it, I'm in junior classes right now so its all Kana, not particularly looking forward to next years senior classes which are full on, should be fun :P. (We have to memorize 200 Kanji in a few months T_T)

Oh well, the more you know!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Applestar (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastyzeus View Post
Tell me about it, I'm in junior classes right now so its all Kana, not particularly looking forward to next years senior classes which are full on, should be fun :P. (We have to memorize 200 Kanji in a few months T_T)

Oh well, the more you know!
Oh haha, good luck with your studies! (:

1. Okay, so I was using a book called "학원 갈 시간이 없는 분을 위한 진명 표준: 독학 일본어 첫걸음 1" to study and I noticed this phrase was different from the one I learned from Japanesepod101.

こちらこそ、どうぞよろしく。
Kochirakoso, douzoyoroshiku
Translation to Korean: 저야말로 아무쪼록 잘 부탁합니다.
Translation to English: Please be [very] kind to me.

Does こちらこそ mean "very" in this phrase? What's more commonly used? おねがいします (essentionally, this means "please) or using こちらこそ? Is using either of them okay?

2. I learned that the ん and the small つ affects the way you read (and pronounce the words) when spoken aloud; but how do we know when to stress certain letters over the other?

Example:
오 까-- 상
お母さん (Mother)
O ka: sang <---is what the textbook says

Wouldn't the '' be pronounced San(산 or even 사 'sa'~ㄴ'n'), instead of Sang(상)?

3. I've also come across the 'Ha' はbeing pronounced as 'Wa' instead to show (in korean, you use it similarily to ~은, ~는).

In example:

あなた にほんじんです。
당신 일본 사람입니다.

I think in English, it works similarly to 'is". Why is it read as 'Wa' instead of 'Ha'?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿

08-22-2010, 05:00 PM

こちらこそ means something like "It's I who should say so"

So after someone introduces themselves you'd say こちらこそ afterwords.
こちらこそ can also be used with apologies -- like let's say you bump into someone and they apologize, you could respond with こちらこそ、ごめなさい。