LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-22-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichig0babe View Post
ahh ok that way, I'll just go to a rly good tattoo artist and I'll print some examples from nice looking fonts for him. ty for the info mate=D
You still need to take this info to an artist that is familiar with the language. Font of a language you don't know is a very tricky thing to explain. Otherwise they could not understand and still use the wrong looking "typeface". It can't just be a tattoo artist who is really good, they need to understand it.

I can think of a great Japanese artist here living here in San Francisco, he is doing beautiful full sleeves on a friend of mine right now. If you ever plan to travel here I can give you his name.

In the end it's your body, do whatever you want. Taking some of this advice can only help you.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ichig0babe (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I think that is what cranks means. Think about it in terms of type-face. If you want to be taken seriously in your font choice you use something clear and standard like Helvetica and not Comic Sans. The way a thing is written can convey just as much as what is written. I think he is suggesting a more artistic approach to how it is written to perhaps elevate the look of this common word. The choice of written appearance will hopefully convey something more meaningful and will look slightly less like a foreigner with a random word slapped on their wrist.

Agreeing with this being a generally poorly thought out tattoo. It has nothing to do with your mother and everything to do with you and your interest in Japan. It seems like a selfish tattoo IMHO. If I wanted to commemorate my mother in ink, especially if she were to pass away, I would think about her favorite flowers, favorite birds/animals, colors, something related to her birth-date or birthplace and make it personal. The tattoo about your mom should be separate from your tattoo reflecting an interest in Japan unless your mother holds the exact same interest. And later on when you get a tattoo about your love of all things Japanese, use images and not text.

If you won't listen to anyone else about this at least try to find someone of Japanese descent or training to do your inkwork. Be selective.
ty.. this rly got me thinking.. I dont wanna look selfish cause I am not, and I just thought about this totally different.. more like: mom+japan=okaasan, can you understand? I've wanted a japanese tattoo for a long time now and never knew what words, and last week I heard my mom has breastcancer. so my first thought was: okaasan.. I hope I don't sound selfish anymore because my love for my mom is ofcourse the main reason for the tattoo =D

(#23 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I think he is suggesting a more artistic approach to how it is written to perhaps elevate the look of this common word. The choice of written appearance will hopefully convey something more meaningful and will look slightly less like a foreigner with a random word slapped on their wrist.
Thank you. I don't have anything to add to this.

Quote:
ahh ok that way, I'll just go to a rly good tattoo artist and I'll print some examples from nice looking fonts for him. ty for the info mate=D
The thing is Kanji calligraphy is an art and you can't find a font for that. So you can't take an off-the-shelf approach. Finding a decent artist is good. Have them morph the character into something that looks more artistic. Don't just copy and paste a font off a computer printout.

Last edited by cranks : 08-22-2010 at 09:51 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
ichig0babe (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
You still need to take this info to an artist that is familiar with the language. Font of a language you don't know is a very tricky thing to explain. Otherwise they could not understand and still use the wrong looking "typeface". It can't just be a tattoo artist who is really good, they need to understand it.

I can think of a great Japanese artist here living here in San Francisco, he is doing beautiful full sleeves on a friend of mine right now. If you ever plan to travel here I can give you his name.

In the end it's your body, do whatever you want. Taking some of this advice can only help you.
thanks again, you seem like a rly nice person^^

(#25 (permalink))
Old
ichig0babe (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
The thing is calligraphy is an art and you can't find a font for that. So you can't take an off-the-shelf approach. Finding a decent artist is good. Have them morph the character into something that look more artistic. Don't just copy and paste a font off a computer printout.
hahaha, no I meant for inspiration ofcourse.. I would never just copy and past stuff on my body =P I didn't think of this aspect of a tattoo before I posted this thread tho, so ty^^

(#26 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
hahaha, no I meant for inspiration ofcourse.. I would never just copy and past stuff on my body =P I didn't think of this aspect of a tattoo before I posted this thread tho, so ty^^
All right, wish the best for you, your mom and all.

Last edited by cranks : 08-22-2010 at 10:05 PM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
ichig0babe (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
All right, wish the best for you, your mom and all.
Arigatou Gozaimasu (_ _)