JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
m4x30000 (Offline)
New to JF

Language in Action - 08-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Hi folks,

I was looking for a study trip to Tokyo and ended up looking at this private school, Language In Action (in Shinjuku), and wondered if it was a good plan; did any of you guys went there, or heard of it ? I first looked at Tokyo University but it seems complicated...

If not, did any of you guys did that (study trip) ? Which school did you go to ?

Thanks for any info !
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4x30000 View Post
Hi folks,

I was looking for a study trip to Tokyo and ended up looking at this private school, Language In Action (in Shinjuku), and wondered if it was a good plan; did any of you guys went there, or heard of it ? I first looked at Tokyo University but it seems complicated...

If not, did any of you guys did that (study trip) ? Which school did you go to ?

Thanks for any info !
I went to Obirin University, now J.F. Oberlin university, in Tokyo. They had an arrangement with my university, The University of Texas. I paid UT tuition and got to go to Obirin (where tuition was over three times as much per year) without paying Obirin tuition.

Are you in university? If so, you should go through a direct exchange program if your uni has one. If not, check out places like Temple University. They have programs as well, that are likely much better and cheaper than doing a trip to a language school, which will be populated by foreigners living in Japan and probably more expensive.

Also, I can't even find a website for Language in Action, so I'd be wary.

Also, unless you're satisfied with just being able to order food and get hotel rooms, I wouldn't recommend spending any less than a year in Japan. But that's just my opinion. I don't think less than a year will afford you time to really get good. Heck, my one year wasn't sufficient for my goals.

My Japanese professors in the US have told me they don't think you can attain fluency (for a low level definition of that word) unless you spend at least two years there.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
m4x30000 (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I went to Obirin University, now J.F. Oberlin university, in Tokyo. They had an arrangement with my university, The University of Texas. I paid UT tuition and got to go to Obirin (where tuition was over three times as much per year) without paying Obirin tuition.

Are you in university? If so, you should go through a direct exchange program if your uni has one. If not, check out places like Temple University. They have programs as well, that are likely much better and cheaper than doing a trip to a language school, which will be populated by foreigners living in Japan and probably more expensive.

Also, I can't even find a website for Language in Action, so I'd be wary.

Also, unless you're satisfied with just being able to order food and get hotel rooms, I wouldn't recommend spending any less than a year in Japan. But that's just my opinion. I don't think less than a year will afford you time to really get good. Heck, my one year wasn't sufficient for my goals.

My Japanese professors in the US have told me they don't think you can attain fluency (for a low level definition of that word) unless you spend at least two years there.
Thanks for the info ! And sorry the name of the school is Languages In Action, Learn Spanish Learn Italian French German English Schools Courses. I looked at Temple University since I am not a university student (well I am but only making a certificat) and it's always the same problem with universities, the course I would like is not offered in the session I am planning to go... But I am looking this over, personally I was planning a 6 months trip, I'll consider spending more time for sure -- the only problem is the visa, and the money ! if I stay longer than 6 months I'll need a job for sure...