JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the tip about おめでとう, Sashimister and cranks.
Nyororin, you and your husband sound cute
(#12 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
A famous Japanese writer from 明治 (Meiji) era called 夏目漱石(Natsume Souseki) once translated "I love you" as 「月が奇麗ですね。(The moon is beautiful)」. Things can be radically different in Japan. I like Sashimister's 祝! ふたりの一周年! if it's in writing. I don't know how you say it verbally though. Like him, I don't usually use 「おめでとう」for something that involves myself. It's a word I use to congratulate somebody. I feel going 夏目 style, like「一年たったね!(It's been a year!)」, sounds more natural, colloquially. Maybe saying something in 山形弁 is really cool, too bad I have no idea what it's like.
I've heard of that before! We did that in a class and one kid who'd never heard of it before said something like "カエルのなきごえってきれいだね” or something like that. It was the most しぶい thing I've ever heard a 12 year old say haha.

When I really think about it, after a year I do remember saying 1年たったな after my first year. We did both say 1年おめでとう though for sure, and we did cheers after that and ate dinner... I think it was kind of a tongue in cheeck thing on my wife's part though.

About Yamagata ben, I've not really heard it spoken full throttle before, but what I have heard of it has caused me to come to a couple conclusions. It's really cold up there, therefore things get super abbreviated. The first thing my friend taught me was that in place of "食べる?" they say "く?" and instead of "食べろよ", they say "け". Also, a lot of the か row becomes が, which is sometimes true around here as well (but it's not really acknowledged).

Last edited by steven : 08-27-2010 at 12:31 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-27-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I've heard of that before! We did that in a class and one kid who'd never heard of it before said something like "カエルのなきごえってきれいだね” or something like that. It was the most しぶい thing I've ever heard a 12 year old say haha.

When I really think about it, after a year I do remember saying 1年たったな after my first year. We did both say 1年おめでとう though for sure, and we did cheers after that and ate dinner... I think it was kind of a tongue in cheeck thing on my wife's part though.

About Yamagata ben, I've not really heard it spoken full throttle before, but what I have heard of it has caused me to come to a couple conclusions. It's really cold up there, therefore things get super abbreviated. The first thing my friend taught me was that in place of "食べる?" they say "く?" and instead of "食べろよ", they say "け". Also, a lot of the か row becomes が, which is sometimes true around here as well (but it's not really acknowledged).
To be fair, they're not just saying く. They're saying 食う(くう), meaning the same thing as 食べる, but it is more rude in Tokyo. Then, if they're truly saying け, it's just a quicker contraction of 食え(くえ).
(#14 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2010, 12:49 AM

I'm aware of that, but I'm pretty sure if you were to transcribe what they were actually saying it would just be く and け. I have a general idea of where the phrases come from... I'm not so sure abuot け being 食え though. It makes sense judging by the sound, but the conversation would be like this (if I understood it correctly)

A: く?
B:け

In other words:

A:食べる?
B: うん、食べる

Besides, doesn't 食え mean like 食べ... I thought it was like 命令 when said that way. I've never said 食え and have never been told 食え as far as I remember though, so it's not something I use every day... but I don't think someone would say 食え to mean that they (personally) are gonna eat something.

EDIT: Haha, incidentally I had it all backwards, which makes way more sense now. け=食べる? く=食べるよ.

Last edited by steven : 08-27-2010 at 12:52 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyElectric View Post
Hello! My boyfriend is currently living and working in Yamagata, Japan, and graduated college with a degree in Japanese Language...Thursday will be one year since we started dating and I was hoping someone could explain to me how to say "happy one year anniversary" in both rōmaji and kanji, or if there is a different phrase that applies to a situation like that.

Thanks all, I really appreciate it!
Congrats.

What type of job does he have?

He graduated with a Japanese degree and he has a Job in Japan now?

I graduated with an Economics degree and a Japanese degree and I can't even get a job in Japan.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-27-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
I graduated with an Economics degree and a Japanese degree and I can't even get a job in Japan.
JET Program. Google it.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
JET Program. Google it.
Hardly an easy program to get into now. They are dropping their numbers as more and more people apply.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-27-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Hardly an easy program to get into now. They are dropping their numbers as more and more people apply.
I had no idea. Interesting.

I have multiple friends who graduated with degrees in Japanese from UT in 2006 and did JET the following year. Maybe even 4 or 5. And that's just from a small program at one university.

I had no idea it is tougher now.