(#11 (permalink))
Old
zUkUu (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Because you're being rude.
I read trough all my posts and couldn't find anything that could be considered 'rude' - sry. maybe you are missinterpreting something or I'm just not aware of it. so please point it out.

Last edited by zUkUu : 09-15-2010 at 06:49 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
zUkUu (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2010, 06:51 PM

//decent push

Gonna need it the next weeks for the sketch. Again, just post away everything that comes to your mind in that very context of "my way" " in my style" etc I appreciate every answer on that topic.

Thanks in advance
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-15-2010, 07:53 PM

俺道 is another option
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-15-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUkUu View Post
//decent push

Gonna need it the next weeks for the sketch. Again, just post away everything that comes to your mind in that very context of "my way" " in my style" etc I appreciate every answer on that topic.

Thanks in advance
Can you give context? Whether you go with my answer or MMM's depends on context, context, context.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
zUkUu (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Can you give context? Whether you go with my answer or MMM's depends on context, context, context.
I'll try. IMO the best way to do so, is usin the allready mentioned "Bushido" 武士道. It's NOT the physical "road" that a warrior is going. It's more a way of life. A spirutal thing. Your dedication, your mindset, your attitude.

You can do/handle things like a coward, peace-lover, warrior or your very own way etc.
I just wanna express that I walk my on path, that I chose my own destiny, that I handle things in my way, that I live my life in my way, that I do things in my style.

It's kinda hard to describe.

Again, thank you for your suggestions and effort. Hope we'll work something out.

(I do not say that I don't use any of the allready mentioned! I just wanna collect, and make a choice when I've a bunch of suggestions to chose from. I look at the meaning, the lenght and the kanji's used and how it does fit into my idea of the tattoo etc)

Last edited by zUkUu : 09-15-2010 at 11:32 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

09-16-2010, 01:17 AM

Unless you MUST use 道,
オレ流 is an often-used word by us. At least nobody will laugh at it if you care how Japanese-speakers would react to the wording.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2010, 02:03 AM

マイペース would be hilarious tatood on someone.

"You can do/handle things like a coward, peace-lover, warrior or your very own way etc.
I just wanna express that I walk my on path, that I chose my own destiny, that I handle things in my way, that I live my life in my way, that I do things in my style.
"

I think this kinda thing comes up on here alot, but if you're so concerned about doing things your way because you're behind the wheel of your own destiny etc etc... then it seems a little hypocritical to use other peoples' language on your arm/leg/back wherever.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-16-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUkUu View Post
I'll try. IMO the best way to do so, is usin the allready mentioned "Bushido" 武士道. It's NOT the physical "road" that a warrior is going. It's more a way of life. A spirutal thing. Your dedication, your mindset, your attitude.

You can do/handle things like a coward, peace-lover, warrior or your very own way etc.

It's kinda hard to describe.

Again, thank you for your suggestions and effort. Hope we'll work something out.

(I do not say that I don't use any of the allready mentioned! I just wanna collect, and make a choice when I've a bunch of suggestions to chose from. I look at the meaning, the lenght and the kanji's used and how it does fit into my idea of the tattoo etc)
That's not what I mean. You said something about a skit. Is it friends talking, and what are they saying?

My suggestion only works in certain circumstances. MMM's only works in certain circumstances.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
zUkUu (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
then it seems a little hypocritical to use other peoples' language on your arm/leg/back wherever.
...but that's my way : D *gg* It has to be kanji for the sake of looking good. It's worked into a big picture. At the same time it's a little tribute to japanese culture, which I really love.

Quote:
That's not what I mean. You said something about a skit. Is it friends talking, and what are they saying?
What do you mean with "skit"? O_O Or do you mean sketch aka a concept? I dunno what to answer on that.^^ My friend is also collecting suggestions from his friends, people in school etc He'll try to paraphrase every suggestion so I get an idea of what it means and its literally translation.

thanks again.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2010, 06:54 AM

This is what happens when people want to translate native phrases into another language.
I'd take a guess at the reason it will be so hard to get one just right for this is that doing things your own way is not a very Japanese idea traditionally.

The nail that sticks out and all that...

Terrible as stereotypes are they have a route somewhere and it can be very obvious when trying to translate languages into others.

If you are getting the Kanji out of love for the culture, maybe get something that represents what Japanese culture is about instead? Then it should be easy to get the right meaning across.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.