JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   "My Way" [figuratively] translation (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/33714-%22my-way%22-%5Bfiguratively%5D-translation.html)

zUkUu 09-03-2010 03:08 PM

"My Way" [figuratively] translation

For my next tattoo I want the figuratively translation of the meaning "my way".

Like Bushido 武士道 is the "way of the warrior" and Aikido 合気道 is "the way of merging with energy", I want the meaning like "way of me/myself", "in my manner", "my style", "i do it my way" but it should read like simply "my way".

I want the 道-kanji for "way" in it, but I'm not limited to it and open to any suggestions.

I hope I could make myself clear, if not I'll try to explain it further.

I would really appreciate if you could translate each kanji to give me a better understanding + write it in romaji aswell.

Thanks in advance

KyleGoetz 09-03-2010 03:18 PM

I think the way it is spoken of in Japan is マイペース.

Edit: for example:
彼は、マイペースの生活を好むタイプだ。
He is the type that likes to live life his own way.

jesselt 09-03-2010 10:10 PM

Don't you think it is going to seem strange to have "My way" tattooed on you?

僕の道

My "way" (street) -Male with the 道 Kanji you requested.

Having "My street" tattooed on you would look a little strange too in my opinion.

zUkUu 09-03-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesselt (Post 827401)
Don't you think it is going to seem strange to have "My way" tattooed on you?

僕の道

My "way" (street) -Male with the 道 Kanji you requested.

Having "My street" tattooed on you would look a little strange too in my opinion.

that's the reason one should carefully read the post. bushido is not "the street of the warrior" it's a spirutal meaning of "way" not the thing you walk on.

thx for the effort nonetheless so far
hope we can collect some more suggestions

zUkUu 09-03-2010 10:33 PM

thats what my japanese friend came up with: 俺流 or 我流 or in some capacity 我道 and 我道を往く

maybe something fits the meaning

jesselt 09-03-2010 10:49 PM

俺流 and 我流 don't have 道 in them, and when reading your post you requested 道

道 can mean way, path, street, road, etc. and unlike an already established word such as 武士道 there is no way to understand that you are intending 道 to mean "path in life"

我流 is "self taught" and you cannot simply cut and paste Kanji together to form a word that makes sense. I'm confused as to why you are asking people you don't know online to come up with a translation for you when you apparently have a Japanese friend who can do it for you.

Maybe you should just go with 我道を往く if that is what your friend suggested.

zUkUu 09-03-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesselt (Post 827408)
俺流 and 我流 don't have 道 in them, and when reading your post you requested 道

道 can mean way, path, street, road, etc. and unlike an already established word such as 武士道 there is no way to understand that you are intending 道 to mean "path in life"

我流 is "self taught" and you cannot simply cut and paste Kanji together to form a word that makes sense. I'm confused as to why you are asking people you don't know online to come up with a translation for you when you apparently have a Japanese friend who can do it for you.

Maybe you should just go with 我道を往く if that is what your friend suggested.

I shall quote myself ;)
I want the 道-kanji for "way" in it, but I'm not limited to it and open to any suggestions.

I didnt made any of those kanji-words. They are all made up by him and you should have realized (like me) that this can't be really well translated literally. and it's something that stays on me for my whole life, so you should understand I want it chosen carefully and not take the first made up thing from just one guy.

KyleGoetz 09-04-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 827410)
I shall quote myself ;)

I didnt made any of those kanji-words. They are all made up by him and you should have realized (like me) that this can't be really well translated literally. and it's something that stays on me for my whole life, so you should understand I want it chosen carefully and not take the first made up thing from just one guy.

This is hilarious. You are such an arse.

I gave you the answer in post #2: マイペース

zUkUu 09-04-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 827419)
This is hilarious. You are such an arse.

I gave you the answer in post #2: マイペース

mh? Why do you insult me out of the blue? I've done no harm.
I appreciate your answer (like i allready mentioned above), so don't get yourself worked up. 'Till now, noone came up with the same suggestion like one other. I'd guess there is more than one correct answer, so I'll just want to collect more suggestions to take the one which fits me best.

KyleGoetz 09-04-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 827472)
mh? Why do you insult me out of the blue?

Because you're being rude.

zUkUu 09-04-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 827483)
Because you're being rude.

I read trough all my posts and couldn't find anything that could be considered 'rude' - sry. maybe you are missinterpreting something or I'm just not aware of it. so please point it out.

zUkUu 09-15-2010 06:51 PM

//decent push

Gonna need it the next weeks for the sketch. Again, just post away everything that comes to your mind in that very context of "my way" " in my style" etc I appreciate every answer on that topic.

Thanks in advance

MMM 09-15-2010 07:53 PM

俺道 is another option

KyleGoetz 09-15-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 829214)
//decent push

Gonna need it the next weeks for the sketch. Again, just post away everything that comes to your mind in that very context of "my way" " in my style" etc I appreciate every answer on that topic.

Thanks in advance

Can you give context? Whether you go with my answer or MMM's depends on context, context, context.

zUkUu 09-15-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 829228)
Can you give context? Whether you go with my answer or MMM's depends on context, context, context.

I'll try. IMO the best way to do so, is usin the allready mentioned "Bushido" 武士道. It's NOT the physical "road" that a warrior is going. It's more a way of life. A spirutal thing. Your dedication, your mindset, your attitude.

You can do/handle things like a coward, peace-lover, warrior or your very own way etc.
I just wanna express that I walk my on path, that I chose my own destiny, that I handle things in my way, that I live my life in my way, that I do things in my style.

It's kinda hard to describe.

Again, thank you for your suggestions and effort. :) Hope we'll work something out.

(I do not say that I don't use any of the allready mentioned! I just wanna collect, and make a choice when I've a bunch of suggestions to chose from. I look at the meaning, the lenght and the kanji's used and how it does fit into my idea of the tattoo etc)

Sashimister 09-16-2010 01:17 AM

Unless you MUST use 道,
オレ流 is an often-used word by us. At least nobody will laugh at it if you care how Japanese-speakers would react to the wording.

steven 09-16-2010 02:03 AM

マイペース would be hilarious tatood on someone.

"You can do/handle things like a coward, peace-lover, warrior or your very own way etc.
I just wanna express that I walk my on path, that I chose my own destiny, that I handle things in my way, that I live my life in my way, that I do things in my style.
"

I think this kinda thing comes up on here alot, but if you're so concerned about doing things your way because you're behind the wheel of your own destiny etc etc... then it seems a little hypocritical to use other peoples' language on your arm/leg/back wherever.

KyleGoetz 09-16-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 829235)
I'll try. IMO the best way to do so, is usin the allready mentioned "Bushido" 武士道. It's NOT the physical "road" that a warrior is going. It's more a way of life. A spirutal thing. Your dedication, your mindset, your attitude.

You can do/handle things like a coward, peace-lover, warrior or your very own way etc.

It's kinda hard to describe.

Again, thank you for your suggestions and effort. :) Hope we'll work something out.

(I do not say that I don't use any of the allready mentioned! I just wanna collect, and make a choice when I've a bunch of suggestions to chose from. I look at the meaning, the lenght and the kanji's used and how it does fit into my idea of the tattoo etc)

That's not what I mean. You said something about a skit. Is it friends talking, and what are they saying?

My suggestion only works in certain circumstances. MMM's only works in certain circumstances.

zUkUu 09-16-2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven (Post 829250)
then it seems a little hypocritical to use other peoples' language on your arm/leg/back wherever.

...but that's my way : D *gg* It has to be kanji for the sake of looking good. It's worked into a big picture. At the same time it's a little tribute to japanese culture, which I really love.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 829258)
That's not what I mean. You said something about a skit. Is it friends talking, and what are they saying?

What do you mean with "skit"? O_O Or do you mean sketch aka a concept? I dunno what to answer on that.^^ My friend is also collecting suggestions from his friends, people in school etc He'll try to paraphrase every suggestion so I get an idea of what it means and its literally translation.

thanks again.

princessmarisa 09-16-2010 06:54 AM

This is what happens when people want to translate native phrases into another language.
I'd take a guess at the reason it will be so hard to get one just right for this is that doing things your own way is not a very Japanese idea traditionally.

The nail that sticks out and all that...

Terrible as stereotypes are they have a route somewhere and it can be very obvious when trying to translate languages into others.

If you are getting the Kanji out of love for the culture, maybe get something that represents what Japanese culture is about instead? Then it should be easy to get the right meaning across.

zUkUu 09-16-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmarisa (Post 829280)
If you are getting the Kanji out of love for the culture, maybe get something that represents what Japanese culture is about instead? Then it should be easy to get the right meaning across.

that's only the minor goal ^^

1. meaning
2. look
3. japanese homage

But I now what you wanna say with the translation part. I'm aware that it can't be translated upfront. That's the reason I'm looking for various opinions and suggestions, because everyone has a different understanding of the term and therefore describes it differently.

zUkUu 09-19-2010 12:15 AM

which would make more sense or would be better understanded?
我道 or 俺道?

Sashimister 09-19-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 829609)
which would make more sense or would be better understanded?
我道 or 俺道?

No comparison; the former. The latter is a coinage.

However, this might defeat your original purpose of getting a "figurative" phrase.

zUkUu 09-19-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashimister (Post 829615)
No comparison; the former. The latter is a coinage.

However, this might defeat your original purpose of getting a "figurative" phrase.

so the first could be understanded as "my street"? the thing you walk on? or does it mean "the way I wander my life" etc [ofc shortened to "my way"]?
Even tho it is non-offical, would you understand the meaning when you read the second one?

edit: ah or do u mean the later with the "however..."?

So the first one is 100% legit?

Sashimister 09-19-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 829619)
so the first could be understanded as "my street"? the thing you walk on.
Even tho it is non-offical, would you understand the meaning when you read the second one?

No Japanese-speakers will understand 我道 as "my street", none. I haven't read the thread but if someone has said that, that's laughable. It can ONLY mean "my way of doing things".

When I said "this might defeat your original purpose of getting a "figurative" phrase.", I thought you were looking for a "new" word or at least something not as common and boring as 我道. 我道 is such a common word that I didn't even think you wanted it. 道 already has figurative meanings to start with.

The second one 俺道, most people will understand. (And they won't think of a street, either.)

Sashimister 09-19-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 829619)
edit: ah or do u mean the later with the "however..."?

So the first one is 100% legit?

No, I meant 我道 with the "however....", which I now kind of regret as 我道 only has a figurative meaning. So, somehow that only meaning has registered in my head as the literal meaning (since the literal meaning is what words are more often used for.)

It's 100% legit even though some grammarians might argue that it should be written 我が道.

KyleGoetz 09-19-2010 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashimister (Post 829633)
No, I meant 我道 with the "however....", which I now kind of regret as 我道 only has a figurative meaning. So, somehow that only meaning has registered in my head as the literal meaning (since the literal meaning is what words are more often used for.)

It's 100% legit even though some grammarians might argue that it should be written 我が道.

I just love the 我が〜 structure.

zUkUu 09-19-2010 02:53 PM

Saate... it's decided!

I'm gonna use: 我道 !

Thank you for all your help. All of you, I really appreciate it :)

Gonna treat you guys to a meal when I'm in Tokio ^^

Maybe I'm gonna post a picture of it if you're interested when it's done. (should take a few months since it's kinda big and the money + sketch have to be ready first)

MMM 09-19-2010 05:28 PM

And you need to decide what font to get it in...

zUkUu 09-19-2010 09:38 PM

It'll be drawn by my friend who will make the sketch, so no real "font" will be used.

MMM 09-19-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zUkUu (Post 829711)
It'll be drawn by my friend who will make the sketch, so no real "font" will be used.

Everything written Japanese or English has a font. It can really have an effect on presentation. Here are some samples of different "handwritten" style fonts.

zUkUu 09-20-2010 03:04 PM

then which one would you chose? : D

I kinda dig the SwordKanji.