JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
areazel (Offline)
New to JF

English to Japanese translation help! - 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM

So I spent a month in Japan over the summer, with a group, and spent ten days in a home stay. And I would really like to write a thank you note to the family, but I am not fluent enough in Japanese to write one. So I was wondering if I could have some help.

Dear Host Family,
Thank you so much for letting me stay with you during the home stay. I will never forget the time I spent with you. Words cannot explain how much I have appreciated your hospitality. Even though my time here was short, you are like family to me now. I hope that we can keep in touch. I also hope to visit you again in the future. Thank you so much.
From, Chloe

someone told me it was this (but they're not sure):
ホストファミリーのみなさんへ、

にほんに たいざいちゅうは たいへん おせわに な りました。 いっしょに すごしたときの ことは けっして わす れません。 みなさんから うけた おもてなしに たいする かん しゃの きもちは ことばでは いいつくせません。 きかんは みじかか ったのですが いまでは みなさんが わたしの かぞくの ように かんじて います。これからも お たよりを こうかん しましょう。 そして しょうら い また みなさんの ところに おじゃましたいと おもって  います。 
ほんとうに ありがとう ございます。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-07-2010, 11:05 PM

It feels good to me: Certain parts seem very well written (and perhaps overly formal), but I'm not at a high enough level to say it's all correct. I almost want to ask if a native speaker did the translation for you, but I'm sure a native speaker would come here and call me an idiot for missing some obvious grammar mistake in the translation

One thing to note: it will hurt the eyes of someone to read a 100% hiragana letter that uses spaces, too. I found it very, very difficult to read what you have posted because of the spaces and because there's nothing but hiragana.

I'll provide a kanji version of what you've written:
Quote:
日本に滞在中は大変のお世話になりました。

一緒に過ごしたときのことは決して忘れません。みなさ んから受けたおもてなしに対する感謝の気持ちは言葉で は言いつくせません。

期間は短かったのですが今では皆さんが私の家族のよう に感じています。これからもお便りを交換しましょう。 そして将来また皆さんのところにお邪魔したいと思って います。

本当にありがとうございます。
I'm thinking it should be ございました at the end, though. We'll see what better speakers than I think!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
areazel (Offline)
New to JF

09-08-2010, 03:12 AM

Thanks so much!