JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-25-2010, 04:46 PM

This is why I am a fan of formal study, and not online self study. Kyle raises a good point. If you want to study as a hobby and pick of a few phrases, more power to you. But if you are planning on going to Japan for any length of time and want to understand and be understood, nothing beats the power of formal training.

I am not trying to embarrass Justin, but saying "my katakana sorta sucks" or "I am bad ATM" are just thin shields when you should say "I can't read Japanese". It's OK not to be able to read... just be honest with yourself.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-25-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This is why I am a fan of formal study, and not online self study. Kyle raises a good point. If you want to study as a hobby and pick of a few phrases, more power to you. But if you are planning on going to Japan for any length of time and want to understand and be understood, nothing beats the power of formal training.

I am not trying to embarrass Justin, but saying "my katakana sorta sucks" or "I am bad ATM" are just thin shields when you should say "I can't read Japanese". It's OK not to be able to read... just be honest with yourself.
Sorry haha, and I agree with you. I really should take formal study... and not some half assed study that I'm doing right now. To be honest, I can't read Japanese, that's the truth.

I think I'm going to find some classes now! ;D.

A side question I forgot to ask on this thread... does my Chinese name in Japanese sound like a funny name when read in Japanese? Like... does it just shout out that I'm Chinese? Because if so... then I don't really see a point in using my Chinese name as my Japanese name.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post
Sorry haha, and I agree with you. I really should take formal study... and not some half assed study that I'm doing right now. To be honest, I can't read Japanese, that's the truth.

I think I'm going to find some classes now! ;D.

A side question I forgot to ask on this thread... does my Chinese name in Japanese sound like a funny name when read in Japanese? Like... does it just shout out that I'm Chinese? Because if so... then I don't really see a point in using my Chinese name as my Japanese name.
Your name in Chinese sounds exactly like a Chinese name in Japanese. If you are worried about it, then go with Justin.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Your name in Chinese sounds exactly like a Chinese name in Japanese. If you are worried about it, then go with Justin.
:S I sorta wanted a name that would be different from my other names, like... Justin is different from my Chinese name. Oh well haha, I'll worry about names later, but thanks guys! Now I know ;P.