LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Hrodgar (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Hrodgar
Did I just make a fool of myself?! - 10-17-2010, 07:30 PM

Hi Guys..

I need your help now to know if I am to beg for forgiveness to my Senseis in martial arts-class.

This is what has happened;
We had a big Kendo tournament in our town and after I got eliminated I cheered for our Japanese Senseis team.

I'm not very good at Japanese yet, so I at first only used the phrases that we always use in Kendo in Sweden.
But then when we all got into even more fighting-spirit I told one of my Senpais "Banzai!" which he enjoyed.

And then I remembered the old movie "Tora Tora Tora!" which, for you that don't know of it, depicts Japans attack on Pearl Harbour (and it is a great film, as a movie!)
What I understood from that movie all Tora Tora Tora means is "Attack! Attack! Attack!" and I felt it at the moment to be appropriate!

But none of my senseis reacted neither with joy OR dislike.

Just google-translating it, it means literally "Tiger Tiger Tiger", well doh.

But as with all Japanese language I guessed it had several hidden meanings.
But then the awful thought struck me... Since two of my Senseis is actually at the age that he very well could have been a soldier for the Emperor, maybe saying Tora Tora Tora to him was like talking about nazism with the germans, a really sensitive subject since that movie is about the single action that in time brought Japans might to it's knees after USAs retaliation.

So what do you think, or what do you KNOW.
Did I just ramble "Tiger Tiger Tiger" to them, or did I just remind two of my Senseis that they, their honour and their country ultimatly got NUKED?
*giant, painful face-slap DOH*

Is it crazy to dream of a Ferrari of your own?
rogerfriberg.blogspot.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodgar View Post

So what do you think, or what do you KNOW.
Did I just ramble "Tiger Tiger Tiger" to them, or did I just remind two of my Senseis that they, their honour and their country ultimatly got NUKED?
*giant, painful face-slap DOH*
Oh dear. I wish I could say, but I'm afraid I don't know either. Either way, this pretty much exemplifies the hard lesson of "Messing With Japanese Language 101: Learning Not To Shout Things You Heard On TV Until You've Checked What They Mean."
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-17-2010, 08:10 PM

The code-words that were used by the Japanese to indicate that complete surprise was achieved and is translated in the Japanese as "虎" or "tiger", hence making the code for achieved surprise "Tiger, tiger, tiger".

wikipedia is a godsend, if they werent insulted by it maybe they just thought you were shoutin tiger and were like "what is he smoking"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
curiosityshop (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Well, yes, you made a fool out of yourself, but chances are, your teachers simply had no idea what you meant to say and either didn't pay attention to it, thinking that they had misheard it, or simply realised that you had no idea what you were saying. Next time, don't shout things out in japanese unless you actually know what you're saying. If you really feel bad about it, maybe talk to your teachers at your next training lesson, and say something like 'oh I really made a fool out of myself the other day, I shouted 'tora' thinking it meant 'attack'!' and you'll see by their reaction whether they actually knew anything about it or not.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

10-17-2010, 10:46 PM

They may have thought of it as an inside.

Columbine's advice applies to any language. >.>

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Don't stress dude.

Are you learning the language? One of the things you have to understand is that you WILL make mistakes. No doubt about it.

The sooner you accept that the faster you will learn.

Tora Tora Tora probably got you a few stares... but I'm sure you didn't offend anyone.

My advice? Don't worry about it. If you made a mistake then if they are nice people they will understand. If they don't understand then they are assholes and you need a new kendo club.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-17-2010, 11:30 PM

was reading about it there and its about acknowledging a surprize attack =p maybe they didnt have a reaction because there were thinking to themselves "I dont have a surprize attack" I'm sure they would be understanding if it did cause any offense after all its not like the phrase is an insult its more of a bad reference