JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ZachVKR (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation Help me solve this old Japanes(?) symbol. - 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Hey,

My name is Zacharias von Kraemer, from Finland. I have a rather strange question, which I don't know if anyone here can answer :P.
I found a weird Asian looking symbol in one of my great great great grandfathers drawers. I'd like to know how old the drawer is and this symbol might help. Now I have no idea if its Japanese or Chinese or what it is :P, but I think it could be Japanese since the emperor of Japan gave the drawer to him either in the 1850s by some emperor or in the 1870s by an emperor called Mutsuhito.
My great great great grandfather was an admiral in the imperial navy of Russia, and thus a veteran of many bloody wars including the Krim war ( Finland belonged to Russia in those days), and was a close friend with all the Russian emperors of his lifetime ( Nikolaj I, Alexander II and Alexander III), as well as the Greek king and queen. He also met a couple of times with Abraham Lincoln and Wilhelm II of Germany.

Now I tried to draw the symbol in paint the best I could

The drawer is very old and the symbol might have looked different had it not been a bit blurry. ( I can also take a photo if this doesn't help)

Any comments or help would be great!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Take a picture. What you've drawn is not Japanese.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-20-2010, 02:59 PM

If I've learnt anything from watching if the antique roadshow it might actually be the creators own personal stamp on the piece to show that it was made by them...as engraving a signature is complicated to say the least