JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
gvan (Offline)
New to JF

Translation Hiragana Times Blog 20101022 - 10-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Hello, can someone give a translation of this this please, preferably first the complete article and thereafter word-by-word: kana=kanji=english?

とうきょう は だい・ゆでん (big oil field):: Business | Hiragana Blog - Hiragana Times

Thank you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-24-2010, 02:57 PM

We can't hold your hand forever. Try one yourself. That's the whole point of Hiragana Times. They even put spaces in the hiragana so noobs can use the dictionary themselves!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
i know that the hiragana are in the link i provided, BUT for newbees it's very difficult to see the link between the words in hiragana and the kanji characters. I'm sure a lot of newbees will agree. It's very helpful to have the translations word by wordu
If you're having trouble matching the kanji to the hiragana, then I have to ask, do you know what particles are? Are you learning words before trying to read, or after? If you can recognise the particles in a sentence, then it should be obvious where a word ends in a hiragana sentence, and easy to match it to the kanji.

EG: にちようびとしょかんにほんごべんきょうします

VS:日曜日図書館日本語勉強します

I've highlighted which hiragana are the same. The characters that differ, IE the hiragana that are 'missing' from the kanji sentence, directly correlate to the kanji. so if you know that にis the particle, then にちようび is obviously 日曜日。and so forth.

you can use rikai.com or kantango.com to look up the words you don't know, but this way won't really teach you grammar, so make sure you read up on what the different particles and verb endings mean. You could use Tae Kim's online grammar for this.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-24-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post

EG: にちようびとしょかんにほんごべんきょうします

VS:日曜日図書館日本語勉強します
Your example makes it look tougher than it really is for someone using Hiragana Times. They use spaces, so it's like having difficulty with this:

にちようびに としょかんで にほんごを べんきょう  します。
日曜日に図書館で日本語を勉強します。

And then saying you can't figure out the kanji. I mean, just do this:
にちようびに としょかんで にほんごを べんきょう  します。
日曜日  に 図書館  で 日本語 を 勉強     します。

This should make it obvious it's really easy to match kanji with kana using hiragana times, since they provide the kana and kanji and put spaces in the hiragana to tell you where one word ends and another begins.