JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2010, 12:31 PM

The Kappa survival guide sounds epic! Ill have to sort something like that! Transliterating kana words sounds like a cool little homework task if I'm stuck for something. Its a good idea to show the kana even if my students won't be using it. Don't want them to fall into a world that thinks japan is full of romaji... Are you a teacher (other than Japanese) too, Columbine?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
The Kappa survival guide sounds epic! Ill have to sort something like that! Transliterating kana words sounds like a cool little homework task if I'm stuck for something. Its a good idea to show the kana even if my students won't be using it. Don't want them to fall into a world that thinks japan is full of romaji... Are you a teacher (other than Japanese) too, Columbine?
I've literally ~just~ qualified to teach English as a second language to adults. But i've been doing the kids japanese thing for almost a year now. And I used to coach english conversation in Japan when I was out there. nothing crazy sophisticated; i just volunteered at the citizen's centre, so I wasn't really teaching. Helped them practice holiday english, improve their pronunciation and corrected mistakes.

With the transliteration, things the kids need to be primed with, is that they know how many syllables/characters they're using, that the characters are ~sounds~ not letters, particularly clear up that え isn't 'ee' but 'Eh' and likewise い isn't 'ai' but 'ee', so names like 'eva' (ee-vah) would be written with イ. And L's come from the R line of course, or you'll get all the Laura's panicking. Actually there's some great things for kids learning hiragana online. You can give them about 10 or less hiragana and a short list of words made up of just those characters. So they can learn vocab and characters all in one. EG:  い あ え お う か に め く then they could make say... あめ かに かめ おに うめ いく かく にく く に いう あおい え ええ いいえ いえ かう かお etc.
and then you can build on from that.