JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   ゆっくりする vs. ゆっくり休む (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/34654-%E3%82%86%E3%81%A3%E3%81%8F%E3%82%8A%E3%81%99%E3%82%8B-vs-%E3%82%86%E3%81%A3%E3%81%8F%E3%82%8A%E4%BC%91%E3%82%80.html)

Maxful 11-07-2010 05:57 AM

ゆっくりする vs. ゆっくり休む

Hi, I would like to know what are the differences between ゆっくりする and ゆっくり休む? :)

Columbine 11-07-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxful (Post 836299)
Hi, I would like to know what are the differences between ゆっくりする and ゆっくり休む? :)

To my mind, ゆっくり休む is more literal- to rest up, to charge ones batteries, to have a good -sleep-; that kind of thing. What you might say to someone who is blatantly ill with a bad cold.

ゆっくりする is more...'taking it easy' 'unwind'. I managed to take it easy over the holiday, I spend every sunday taking it easy by lying around in bed etc. It's more like chilling out as opposed to actually physically resting or sleeping.

Maxful 11-08-2010 03:13 AM

Columbineさん、本当にどうもありがとうございました。:)

masaegu 11-08-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 836354)
ゆっくりする is more...'taking it easy' 'unwind'. I managed to take it easy over the holiday, I spend every sunday taking it easy by lying around in bed etc. It's more like chilling out as opposed to actually physically resting or sleeping.

This sounds to me, a native speaker, more like the definition of のんびりする than that of ゆっくりする. ゆっくりする has a very limited usage in real life. When someone visits you at your home, you may say ゆっくりしていってください (colloquially, ゆっくりしてってください), meaning "Make yourself at home."

Maxful 11-08-2010 09:06 AM

Hi masaegu, am I right that it can also mean "ゆっくりしてください" (please take your time)?

masaegu 11-08-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxful (Post 836437)
Hi masaegu, am I right that it can also mean "ゆっくりしてください" (please take your time)?

To say "Please take your time.", the vast majority of us do not use "ゆっくりしてください". We would opt to say ゆっくりでいいです(よ).

Columbine 11-08-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 836434)
This sounds to me, a native speaker, more like the definition of のんびりする than that of ゆっくりする. ゆっくりする has a very limited usage in real life. When someone visits you at your home, you may say ゆっくりしていってください (colloquially, ゆっくりしてってください), meaning "Make yourself at home."

I must admit, I've never actually used or heard ゆっくりする in real life. For some reason i've come across ゆっくり休む more, so I guess I got my definitions muddled.

Sorry for being a bit misleading!

Maxful 11-08-2010 11:21 AM

Thanks for the help, masaegu san. :)

I have another question which is regarding 整理する, まとめる and 片つ"ける. I was wondering if there are many differences between the 3 verbs?

Maxful 11-08-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 836446)
I must admit, I've never actually used or heard ゆっくりする in real life. For some reason i've come across ゆっくり休む more, so I guess I got my definitions muddled.

Sorry for being a bit misleading!

No worries, Columbine san. My guess is that ゆっくりする is usually stated in the textbooks but in reality, people hardly say that, but that's just my guess. :)

masaegu 11-08-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxful (Post 836447)
I have another question which is regarding 整理する, まとめる and 片つ"ける. I was wondering if there are many differences between the 3 verbs?

Good question. Not an easy one to answer because though there is an overlapping meaning among the three, they aren't always interchangeable.

まとめる means "gather together into a place". Suppose a kid is done playing with several toys and these toys are usually kept at one place, such as in one box. In this case, you as a parent can tell your kid to まとめる all the toys that are now scattered around the room. You can use 片付ける, too, in this situaton.

However, if those toys are usually kept at more than one place, you can only use 片付ける technically.

整理する can be used in both situations but it's more natural for the native speaker to opt for the word 整理整頓(せいりせいとん)する. You will frequently encounter the sign 「整理整頓」 in Japanese elementary schools and factories, but you won't ever see a sign saying only 「整理」.

[IMG]http://iwashi.laff.jp/photos/uncateg...218_184850.jpg[/IMG]