JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

ゆっくりする vs. ゆっくり休む - 11-07-2010, 05:57 AM

Hi, I would like to know what are the differences between ゆっくりする and ゆっくり休む?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi, I would like to know what are the differences between ゆっくりする and ゆっくり休む?
To my mind, ゆっくり休む is more literal- to rest up, to charge ones batteries, to have a good -sleep-; that kind of thing. What you might say to someone who is blatantly ill with a bad cold.

ゆっくりする is more...'taking it easy' 'unwind'. I managed to take it easy over the holiday, I spend every sunday taking it easy by lying around in bed etc. It's more like chilling out as opposed to actually physically resting or sleeping.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2010, 03:13 AM

Columbineさん、本当にどうもありがとうございました。

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
ゆっくりする is more...'taking it easy' 'unwind'. I managed to take it easy over the holiday, I spend every sunday taking it easy by lying around in bed etc. It's more like chilling out as opposed to actually physically resting or sleeping.
This sounds to me, a native speaker, more like the definition of のんびりする than that of ゆっくりする. ゆっくりする has a very limited usage in real life. When someone visits you at your home, you may say ゆっくりしていってください (colloquially, ゆっくりしてってください), meaning "Make yourself at home."
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2010, 09:06 AM

Hi masaegu, am I right that it can also mean "ゆっくりしてください" (please take your time)?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-08-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hi masaegu, am I right that it can also mean "ゆっくりしてください" (please take your time)?
To say "Please take your time.", the vast majority of us do not use "ゆっくりしてください". We would opt to say ゆっくりでいいです(よ).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
This sounds to me, a native speaker, more like the definition of のんびりする than that of ゆっくりする. ゆっくりする has a very limited usage in real life. When someone visits you at your home, you may say ゆっくりしていってください (colloquially, ゆっくりしてってください), meaning "Make yourself at home."
I must admit, I've never actually used or heard ゆっくりする in real life. For some reason i've come across ゆっくり休む more, so I guess I got my definitions muddled.

Sorry for being a bit misleading!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the help, masaegu san.

I have another question which is regarding 整理する, まとめる and 片つ"ける. I was wondering if there are many differences between the 3 verbs?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I must admit, I've never actually used or heard ゆっくりする in real life. For some reason i've come across ゆっくり休む more, so I guess I got my definitions muddled.

Sorry for being a bit misleading!

No worries, Columbine san. My guess is that ゆっくりする is usually stated in the textbooks but in reality, people hardly say that, but that's just my guess.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#10 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I have another question which is regarding 整理する, まとめる and 片つ"ける. I was wondering if there are many differences between the 3 verbs?
Good question. Not an easy one to answer because though there is an overlapping meaning among the three, they aren't always interchangeable.

まとめる means "gather together into a place". Suppose a kid is done playing with several toys and these toys are usually kept at one place, such as in one box. In this case, you as a parent can tell your kid to まとめる all the toys that are now scattered around the room. You can use 片付ける, too, in this situaton.

However, if those toys are usually kept at more than one place, you can only use 片付ける technically.

整理する can be used in both situations but it's more natural for the native speaker to opt for the word 整理整頓(せいりせいとん)する. You will frequently encounter the sign 「整理整頓」 in Japanese elementary schools and factories, but you won't ever see a sign saying only 「整理」.

[IMG]http://iwashi.laff.jp/photos/uncateg...218_184850.jpg[/IMG]