JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
koromitsu (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese Translation - 11-09-2010, 07:00 AM

Hello I'm a girl from Portugal and I love Japanese. I want to learn it when I can.
Right now I need help to translate some words. Someone can help me please???

The words I want are:

Water Wolf;
Mysterious Tiger;
Sencitive Artist;
Water Heart
Summer Star
Wild Spirit

Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koromitsu View Post
Hello I'm a girl from Portugal and I love Japanese. I want to learn it when I can.

The words I want are:

Water Wolf;
Mysterious Tiger;
Sencitive Artist;
Water Heart
Summer Star
Wild Spirit

Thanks
I moved your thread to the correct section. These are some very unique words you need translated. Can you give some context to what they mean?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I moved your thread to the correct section. These are some very unique words you need translated. Can you give some context to what they mean?
I have a feeling that they are meant to be names, quite possibly for fictional characters that the OP (or her friends) came up with for a story or something. Or for characters in a game.

I could be wrong though, but I'll give a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koromitsu View Post

The words I want are:

Water Wolf;
Mysterious Tiger;
Sencitive Artist;
Water Heart
Summer Star
Wild Spirit

Thanks
Water Wolf : 水狼(すいろう), Suirou
Note: 水の狼(みずのおおかみ), Mizu no Ookami is also possible, 'though this one sounds a bit weird.

Mysterious Tiger : 謎の虎(トラ), Nazo no Tora

Sensitive Artist : 敏感(びんがん)な美術家(びじゅつか), Binkan na Bijutsuka

Water Heart : 水の心(みずのこころ), Mizu no Kokoro
Note: 水心 (Suishin) means something else (middle of a body of water.) instead. It can also be read as Mizugokoro, in which case it means "ability to swim". The "Mizugokoro" reading also occurs in the proverb "魚心あれば水心" (Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.)

Summer Star : 夏星(きらり、かせい、なつぼし), Kirari/Kasei/Natsuboshi
Note: Kirari and Kasei are both actual female names with the kanji meaning "Summer Star", while Natsuboshi would refer to an actual star(s) instead.

Wild Spirit
自生の魂(じせいのたましい), Jisei no Tamashii 
野生の気力(やせいのきりょく), Yasei no Kiryoku

自生 means "wild" as in "natural", like "wild roses", while 野生 means "wild" as in "animalistic", like "wild tiger", or "crazy wild men".

Last edited by Decimus : 11-09-2010 at 09:15 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
koromitsu (Offline)
New to JF

11-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I have a feeling that they are meant to be names, quite possibly for fictional characters that the OP (or her friends) came up with for a story or something. Or for characters in a game.

Note: 水の狼(みずのおおかみ), Mizu no Ookami is also possible, 'though this one sounds a bit weird.

Note: 水心 (Suishin) means something else (middle of a body of water.) instead. It can also be read as Mizugokoro, in which case it means "ability to swim". The "Mizugokoro" reading also occurs in the proverb "魚心あれば水心" (Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.)

Note: Kirari and Kasei are both actual female names with the kanji meaning "Summer Star", while Natsuboshi would refer to an actual star(s) instead.

Thanks.
You are right. This are names for my friends. We practice Kenjutsu and we give names like this to all
(#5 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Wild Spirit
自生の魂(じせいのたましい), Jisei no Tamashii 
野生の気力(やせいのきりょく), Yasei no Kiryoku

自生 means "wild" as in "natural", like "wild roses", while 野生 means "wild" as in "animalistic", like "wild tiger", or "crazy wild men".

Hey just a couple of questions, how common would it be to use rou for wolf when in a compound such as suiroi, and am I right in thinking that ookami isn't used half as much as the fans who spam the word seem to think and that katakana ウルフ is much more commonly accepted now?
Also is ther any reason you wouldn't use な in place of の for the above, I guess it is like tiger of mystery right?

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
Also is ther any reason you wouldn't use な in place of の for the above, I guess it is like tiger of mystery right?
「謎」, 「自生」, and 「野生」 are considered to be nouns, and not な-adjectives (形容動詞). Japanese nouns, however, can act as adjectives. When used as adjectives, 「謎」, 「自生」, and 「野生」 must use the particle 「の」 instead of 「な」.

Japanese words for colours are also a prominent example; examples include 「紫(の)」 ("Murasaki no", "Purple") and 「緑(の)」("Midori no", Verdant Green") That said, some colours also have an い-adjective construction, like 「赤い」 (red). 「赤の」 is still possible, but (slightly) less common.

「自生」 and 「野生」 can be changed into な-adjectives by appending 「-的」 as a suffix. 「自生的」 and 「野生的」 would use な instead of の, forming 「自生的な」 and 「野生的な」, respectively. I think 「謎的な」 is also possible, but it looks weird to me though.

The 「-的な」 constructions were not suggested because they sound less pleasing, aesthetically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
Hey just a couple of questions, how common would it be to use rou for wolf when in a compound such as suiroi, and am I right in thinking that ookami isn't used half as much as the fans who spam the word seem to think and that katakana ウルフ is much more commonly accepted now?
I am not a native Japanese speaker, but from what I understand...

Wolves are (generally considered to be) extinct in Japan. As such, usage of the word "wolf" (in Japanese) is uncommon outside of fiction, academia, or religion.

The word 「狼」, however, is almost always pronounced 「おおかみ」 when it occurs in isolation. (not as part of a phrase.) 「おおかみ」 is the kun'yomi reading. Most Japanese, I believe, would also refer to a "wolf" as 「おおかみ」. 

Wolves were also formerly 'worshipped' in parts of Japan. (Or at least, treated as subjects of reverence.) This may have cemented the use of the kun'yomi 「おおかみ」 pronunciation, as kun'yomi' pronunciations tend to have a 'native feel' to them. 「おおかみ」 is also homophonic with 「大神」 and 「大上], and hence the usage of 「おおかみ」 may also retain some degree of reverence.

「狼」 can also be pronounced 「ロウ」. this is the on'yomi pronunciation. (Katakana, when used as furigana [pronunciation guide] unambiguously refer to the on'yomi pronunciations of kanji.) On'yomi pronunciations are rarer for words that occur in isolation (single kanji, for example), but are more common for compound words. On'yomi is also (even) more common for compound words of technical and academic origin.

As far as I know, 「狼」 is almost never pronounced 「ロウ」 when it occurs in isolation. It is, however, more common for compound words such as 「人狼(ジンロウ)」, werewolf. The kun'yomi pronunciation is still common though, and werewolves are more commonly called 「狼男(おおかみおとこ)」, "wolf-men"

「ウルフ」, the katakana transcription for the English "Wolf", is used when transcribing names (like the last name "Wolf" and "Woolf"), and is also possible in translations of foreign fiction. Some brand names, (especially band labels), may also use 「ウルフ」 to sound "modern" and "trendy". Outside of these, the use of 「ウルフ」 is rather uncommon, or at least discouraged. Young people, when referring to an actual wolf, may have a higher tendency to use 「ウルフ」 instead of 「狼」, but this is not exactly something that you would want to write down in an essay.

Wolves can also be referred to as 「山犬(やまいぬ)」. This means "mountain dog" literally, or "jackal". 山犬 can also refer to wild dogs though, and lacks reverence.

Finally, 「狼」 is often written as オオカミ, in katakana. (even if it's not a foreign loan word.) This is true for most plant and animal names in general, especially for the ones with kanji that are less often used. That said, literary works tend to use kanji more, since they are considered to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited by Decimus : 11-11-2010 at 09:56 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Princess, don't look at the の as a "of" translation because it doesn't work with that translation 100% of the times. There are typical phrases that you find on mostly every text book that will give you a bad migraine if you keep translating as "of": 先生の人、男の人、女の子 and many more.
I got used to seeing that construction more like a subordinate phrase, that helps me more. I don't know what level is you Japanese knowledge at, but if you have already studied subordinate clauses you will understand what I mean.
The examples above could be read as "the person who is a teacher", "the person who is a man" or "the kid who is a female". The only difference is that for the verb "to be" you cannot use it normally after a noun like for other verbs (like for example りんごを食べた人 the person who ate an apple). For the verb to be you can have either である or の.
I hope I won't be misleading.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#8 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the really long explanation of the words meaning wolf and the use of の。 I think I thought that all nouns could be made into adjectives by adding な and just saw it as some kind of slightly different meaning to use の instead. Now I know the real case! Not sure why I never noticed it with colours!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Thanks for trying to further clarify the use of の I do think of it in terms of what you suggested but I guess in an ambiguous way I can't explain so will often just substitute it for of and hope people get what I mean!
I just can't think of a better catch-all.
Like サラの車 will initially register as car of Sara, which easily becomes Sara's car when I make it "make more sense". If I was to use "that is" or "who is" or any other one to one to help me remember の it would lead me to
car that is Sara, or car who is Sara which is much harder to realise means Sara's car.

In the same way that I read 男の子 as child of man, and I know this means a child of (the type) man, and then I realise it is boy.

サラの車 and 男の子 is maybe bad examples because I can now instantly recognise this as boy and don't have to go through the above "thinking through it" steps.

My level of Japanese is about JLPT N5 (this is the same as the old 4kyuu or very bottom level ), as I am currently preparing for this, but I know the odd word or grammatical phrase above this as I haven't studied in any kind of sensible order.

I did the very basic grammar in class but now 100% self teach, and tend to pick up new grammar points from wondering "how do I say abc" or "what does that sentence mean" rather than structured lessons.

I really suck at terms that describe grammar such as "subordinate clause" I tend to learn grammar more in a way that "makes sense in my head but that isn't what I actually think it translates to" so I know the uses of の and that it doesn't always mean of, I just need a one word way of remembering it in my head, that is kind of right.

I see the confusion when i try explain this to others though! I will definitely put the that is/who is extra meaning of の into my head incase my usual way doesn't work.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.