JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-13-2010, 10:42 AM

To further clarify what masaegu had said, Japanese does not have a 'future' tense. Sentences are either in the 'past' or 'non-past' tenses, 'though adverbs can be used to unambiguously refer to the future.

And a minor nitpick:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandatothemax View Post

"I meet with my friend at Everett Mall this weekend" is her exact "English" sentence, and we haven't really learned anything about meeting people or doing this with people other than using "and" (to). So far my best answer is

Watashiwa shuumatsu ni Everett Mall de tomodachi ni aimasu
Should be 'written' as "Watashi ha shuumatsu ni Everett Mall de tomodachi ni aimasu," Keeping the "ha" particle apart helps you see it better, and reminds you that it is separate from "Watashi". Writing the particle as "ha" instead of "wa" (regardless of its actual pronunciation.) also decreases the likelihood that you might accidentally write down 「わ」 instead of 「は」 when you start writing in hiragana.

It's also a good habit for when you start typing Japanese, as thinking "wa" instead of "ha" is probably going to cause a lot of typos.

That said, I think that learning in Romaji is a bad idea anyway, as most people who do so would have to waste time translating from kana into romaji when reading. Try to gradually wean yourself from it.

Last edited by Decimus : 11-13-2010 at 10:45 AM.