JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Transcripts of Manga and TV? - 12-07-2010, 12:28 AM

I thought it would be a fun way to learn Japanese if there was a way to get transcripts of Japanese movies, manga, anime, etc so that it helps with learning Japanese.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some of these transcripts?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-07-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitotsz View Post
I thought it would be a fun way to learn Japanese if there was a way to get transcripts of Japanese movies, manga, anime, etc so that it helps with learning Japanese.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some of these transcripts?
I am just curious, but how would you use a transcript script from a Japanese TV show to help learn Japanese?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-07-2010, 08:49 AM

I can sort of see where transcripts of television programming or anime may help an advanced learner. Either the stage where most things are understood but the new word or pattern thrown in every once in a while is a potential learning opportunity... Or someone who has studied written Japanese intensely, but has trouble keeping up with the speed of normal conversation.

But manga?
Manga is it`s own transcript, if it can even be called that. Transcripts are of spoken sources - manga is already in text form.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2010, 04:09 PM

I feel that it's a productive way of learning because if you see it being used in a context to understand it, you remember it better, both the words and how it's written, than if you were just memorizing them standing by itself.

I guess for manga it would be nice if there was audio file that came with it. And manga text is not in a text form, but a picture form. I was thinking of using rikachan for the transcripts.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-07-2010, 06:33 PM

I agree with Nyororin, that seeing the script of, say, a TV drama could be helpful as you could see the kanji in context with the pronunciation, but it wouldn't help much if you didn't know what the word meant.

I see in Japan they sell transcript/translations of English language movies, so someone can watch a movie and read along in English and Japanese at the same time.

A manga audio book. That's a new idea.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I can sort of see where transcripts of television programming or anime may help an advanced learner. Either the stage where most things are understood but the new word or pattern thrown in every once in a while is a potential learning opportunity... Or someone who has studied written Japanese intensely, but has trouble keeping up with the speed of normal conversation.
That is very true for people like me who is 独習. We tend to learn to write and read, but as soon as we hear something (even simple) spoken we get completely lost. There is a commercial here in the USA about a Japanese family. It is all in Japanese and they speak very few short phrases...LOL still haven't recognized a single word :O
But I am satisfied to learn how to read, that is already a big achievement for me.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

12-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
And manga text is not in a text form, but a picture form.
I`m sorry, but you`ve lost me with this bit.

Text is text. If it were pictures, it would not be text.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-08-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I guess for manga it would be nice if there was audio file that came with it. And manga text is not in a text form, but a picture form. I was thinking of using rikachan for the transcripts.
In that case, you absolutely will not find text transcripts of manga. Think about it: why in the world would anyone make such a thing and then put it online?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-09-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
And manga text is not in a text form, but a picture form. I was thinking of using rikachan for the transcripts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m sorry, but you`ve lost me with this bit.

Text is text. If it were pictures, it would not be text.
I suppose he was distinguishing actual plaintext files as opposed to text presented in images, but the point is mostly moot anyway. Especially as having the text entirely devoid of images would hurt comprehension instead of helping it.

'though I could see the plaintext transcripts as being more useful for people who can't write out unfamiliar kanji with IME Pad...

Or possibly if one wants to skirt copyright restrictions. (like quoting something without presenting the copyrighted image. That said, the text is technically also copyright-protected.)

But like what KyleGoetz had said, it's not like anybody would bother to type out manga transcripts just to post them online.

Last edited by Decimus : 12-09-2010 at 01:46 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

12-09-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I suppose he was distinguishing actual plaintext files as opposed to text presented in images
Ah, so he is talking about downloading images of manga. *sigh*

Here I was making the assumption that we were talking about something legal - like having a transcript of a book held in hand... Which made no sense as the text in a manga is going to be just as much text on paper as in some other text format.