JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Dozer (Offline)
New to JF

Art - What does it say? - 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Hi,

I received a scroll depicting a running horse; it's beautiful, but I don't know what the writing says on the side. I was told it was from japan, but I haven't taken Japanese since high school so, I appologize if it's not. I was hoping someone could help translate:

(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-22-2010, 05:37 PM

its basically a date and other details, which i could try deciphering later on, but I tell you one thing, that is one disgusting handwriting there.

OK well 幸巳 is a name (yukimi) then you have date (8th of August)

the ending would suggest mourning at a shrine 悲?時客梹城

the middle of it I ll do later as i gotta disappear from the office and go home ^_^

Last edited by ryuurui : 12-22-2010 at 10:11 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

12-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
its basically a date and other details, which i could try deciphering later on, but I tell you one thing, that is one disgusting handwriting there.

OK well 幸巳 is a name (yukimi) then you have date (8th of August)

the ending would suggest mourning at a shrine 悲?時客梹城

the middle of it I ll do later as i gotta disappear from the office and go home ^_^

第2次長沙会戦 -is a reference to a battle at 長沙 (Changsha) - Chinese town, a capital city of Hunan province.

I have seen the light - it is a memorandum for Japanese soldiers who died / bravely fought during the battle at Changsha, during so called The Second Sino-Japanese War (July 7, 1937 – September 9, 1945)

full text: 幸巳八月十日第二次長沙会戦自?止め焚或者仍?前次之 結果也企予?之悲?時客梹城

and its bleeding tough to translate it without missing kanji

Last edited by ryuurui : 12-22-2010 at 07:23 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Dozer (Offline)
New to JF

12-23-2010, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the help!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SuddenOsprey (Offline)
New to JF

Fyi - 02-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Ok, I know this reply is a bit late after the OP, but FYI its a copy of the Chinese artist Xu Beihong's famous "Galloping Horse." Given the weird areas around the text, I'm guessing its a print of some sort? Here's a link to info about the original:

Call of the wild

Hope this helps!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

02-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenOsprey View Post
Ok, I know this reply is a bit late after the OP, but FYI its a copy of the Chinese artist Xu Beihong's famous "Galloping Horse." Given the weird areas around the text, I'm guessing its a print of some sort? Here's a link to info about the original:

Call of the wild

Hope this helps!
nice find, but its not a print, and if it is, it's one made of a copy. Note that seal is pressed in a slightly different position. Painting's background is missing, too. Also, this is not Xu's handwriting.

徐悲鴻先生价值连城的12匹马 - 精美图酷 - 雨林木风交流论坛[BBS.YLMF.NET]-专业的电脑技术精英培养基地! YLMF.NET

Last edited by ryuurui : 02-14-2011 at 09:26 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SuddenOsprey (Offline)
New to JF

02-14-2011, 09:47 AM

You looked closer than I did, the background is definitely different, but the calligraphy appears to be very, very similar, comparing to the image in the link you provided. Since its Chinese, and if its not a print, then most likely an art student copy that they sell to tourists? That's my guess.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

02-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenOsprey View Post
You looked closer than I did, the background is definitely different, but the calligraphy appears to be very, very similar, comparing to the image in the link you provided. Since its Chinese, and if its not a print, then most likely an art student copy that they sell to tourists? That's my guess.
You mean the painting. Painting is really good. Calligraphy on the other hand is weak and negligent, although someone was trying to mock Xu's hand. You are probably right, some cheap substitute for dumb tourists.