JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Aquiella (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Aquiella Send a message via Skype™ to Aquiella
Gender specific words - help - 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM

I know Boku and Anata are male and female respectively, along with some others, but one that's confused me is the different forms of Wakarimasu.

Wakarimasu
Wakarimasen
Wakarimashita

What is the difference between them and which is more appropriate for a female to use?

Thanks!
~Aqua

If you'd like to add me in a messenger program, make sure to tell me who you are and where I'd know you from!
---
"If you can't take a joke, put a piece of duct tape over your mouth and keep your hands away from the keyboard." -Jateshi on DeviantArt.com
---
I Have a Tardis
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiella View Post
I know Boku and Anata are male and female respectively, along with some others, but one that's confused me is the different forms of Wakarimasu.

Wakarimasu
Wakarimasen
Wakarimashita

What is the difference between them and which is more appropriate for a female to use?

Thanks!
~Aqua
Wakarimasu is the affirmative....
Wakarimasen is the negative....
Wakarimashita is the past tense affirmative....

These are not gender specific....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 02-18-2011 at 11:51 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Wakarimasu
Wakarimasen
Wakarimashita

Thanks!
~Aqua
The first means "I understand." The second means "I don't understand." The third means "I understood." There is no "female form vs. male form" in what you listed. You absolutely cannot substitute any of these three for the another.

And, no, "boku" and "anata" are not male and female forms. Females use "boku" and males use "anata" too, and they don't even mean the same thing! "Boku" means "I" and "anata" means "you."

Furthermore, almost no one ever uses "anata" except with a spouse.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
The first means "I understand." The second means "I don't understand." The third means "I understood." There is no "female form vs. male form" in what you listed. You absolutely cannot substitute any of these three for the another.

And, no, "boku" and "anata" are not male and female forms. Females use "boku" and males use "anata" too, and they don't even mean the same thing! "Boku" means "I" and "anata" means "you."

Furthermore, almost no one ever uses "anata" except with a spouse.
I do hear 'anata' used quite often. It's kind of understood that it's a bit condescending though-- but maybe in an... almost 'friendly' kind of way. That can go beyond spouses and into the workplace as well. Of course it can be used in a rude way though... and in most situations it'd probably be rude to use it. It's kind of like 'omae' or 'kimi'. You shouldn't really use it with people who are 'outside' of your circle so to speak. And even within your circle, depending on your position you could or could not get away with saying it without being rude.

A feminine way of saying " I " would be "Atashi" or "Uchi" or even " (your own name)". The latter of those choices speaking in 'the third person' of course. Which seems strange coming from an English perspective. That takes us back to "anata" though. As Kyle pointed out, it's not really a safe way to go-- the safe route is to refer to the person by their name, even when they're right in front of you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Aquiella (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Aquiella Send a message via Skype™ to Aquiella
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post

A feminine way of saying " I " would be "Atashi" or "Uchi" or even " (your own name)". The latter of those choices speaking in 'the third person' of course. Which seems strange coming from an English perspective. That takes us back to "anata" though. As Kyle pointed out, it's not really a safe way to go-- the safe route is to refer to the person by their name, even when they're right in front of you.
Yeah I meant "atashi". I was half asleep when I wrote that I think. -embarassed-

I saw somewhere that if a female uses "boku" she's considered to be a tomboy, or "Otoko onna", is this correct?

If you'd like to add me in a messenger program, make sure to tell me who you are and where I'd know you from!
---
"If you can't take a joke, put a piece of duct tape over your mouth and keep your hands away from the keyboard." -Jateshi on DeviantArt.com
---
I Have a Tardis
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah I meant "atashi". I was half asleep when I wrote that I think. -embarassed-

I saw somewhere that if a female uses "boku" she's considered to be a tomboy, or "Otoko onna", is this correct?
Never heard a girl utter "boku" but the Japanese word for tomboy is お転婆 (おてんば) or the adjective form is お転婆な otenba/otenbana.

Last edited by MMM : 02-19-2011 at 12:18 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-19-2011, 12:19 AM

Doesn't Akiko Wada use オレ?

(Sorry I accidentally hit "edit" instead of "reply", but there are no changes to your post Rick.)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-19-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Doesn't Akiko Wada use オレ?

(Sorry I accidentally hit "edit" instead of "reply", but there are no changes to your post Rick.)
Yup, she does! (Which is one reason I was so sure she was a crossdressing man the first time I saw her. Very tall, lowish voice, masculine speech.

I love her to death, though!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-19-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Never heard a girl utter "boku" but the Japanese word for tomboy is お転婆 (おてんば) or the adjective form is お転婆な otenba/otenbana.
It is reported that "boku" is used often by young women nowadays. Natives have said as much on here, too. The Internet is rife with the same observation, and I heard it some, too, when I lived there. Although the type of girls I hung around with at university tended to be slightly girly.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-19-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
It is reported that "boku" is used often by young women nowadays. Natives have said as much on here, too. The Internet is rife with the same observation, and I heard it some, too, when I lived there. Although the type of girls I hung around with at university tended to be slightly girly.
Hmmm either it has not caught on here in Shizuoka, or just don't pay that much attention.. probably the latter.