JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
advocacy (Offline)
New to JF

Short but VERY CHALLENGING translation to Japanese - 01-16-2011, 04:12 AM

Hi all,

This is my first post. I read the Etiquette guide and all the stickies that I could find, so I hope this is OK.

I'll definitely stick around here. My interests include jmusic, jdrama, and Japanese language. However, for health reasons, it will be very infrequent.

I have a short article in English that I would like to translate into Japanese. My Japanese skills are not even close to the level needed. Actually, I think it might need a native speaker.

A Japanese friend declined to translate it, because she thought it was above her level. She said it was "bungaku-teki" . I thought it was simple in sentences and vocabulary, but I will definitely take her word for it, as it is nuanced.

I can't offer anything in return. My computer use is limited, so I can't even exchange English knowledge.

I do promise that it is for a very good cause.

There is very little communication among serious disease sufferers between Japan and the West. Even though this is a tiny thing, I would like to increase that communication by translating this one article and posting it on my blog.

It is a possibly bungaku-teki na summary of the fundamental facts of a disease. There are no medical terms -- don't worry about that. Simple vocabulary and sentences, but as I mentioned, it is somewhat nuanced. The facts of the disease are almost completely unknown to most people.

It is an important time to be getting information out. (You can tell by my nick that although I am bedridden and very limited in computer use I consider advocacy to be important.)

It will make me proud to have a nihongo link, and I will credit you in both languages.

I'll post a link to the article if requested in this thread (I don't want my first post to look like spam), or I can send it by PM, or whatever works.

I just wonder if there are any native speakers here, or if anybody knows any, who would be willing to translate this one article.

Thanks and I'm glad to discover this forum.

Advocacy
(#2 (permalink))
Old
advocacy (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2011, 04:21 AM

Also, if you can think of any other place I might try, please let me know. I ran across another forum with some polyglot who seemed to have a lot of skilled people there, but forgot what it was
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-16-2011, 04:28 AM

Post the article and see what happens.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-16-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocacy View Post
She said it was "bungaku-teki" . I thought it was simple in sentences and vocabulary, but I will definitely take her word for it, as it is nuanced.
Parts of the best literary works often come in the simplest words and sentences.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
advocacy (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Post the article and see what happens.
The Kafka Pandemic

OK to ask questions, but I am limited in computer use.

Thanks.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-16-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I have a short article in English that I would like to translate into Japanese.
And you call that short?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
advocacy (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
And you call that short?
Is it long? Gomen!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-16-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Is it long? Gomen!
992 words. That is approximately 3 hours of work for a professional translator. Asking price would probably be about $200.00 for an American translator. It might be double that for a translator in Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
advocacy (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Then perhaps too much to ask.

If anybody wants to add it to a portfolio for a future translation job, or test themselves, or consideres the significance of the subject to make it worth it, please feel free to contact me (by making a comment on the blog that says "do not post this comment" -- much more reliable way to get me).

Thanks for your comments.

advocacy