LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Use the first one. The second one is too conversational.
Quote:
Looks good. Don't worry about not sounding like a Japanese-speaker. It will be more personable that way.
Quote:
Of course, it would, Ms. SP.

I didn't change it because my basic opinion is that unless there are parts where you are unintentionally saying something that could offend the reader, you should send your letter as is even with the mistakes and unnaturalness. This is why I only changed two parts in my first post. If I were the manga-ka, I don't think I would appreciate a letter in perfect Japanese from England. I would know immediately that it wasn't written by the fan himself.
Thanks for all the help Masaegu.
Yeah I know what you mean about sending it not perfectly, I guess I never thought about it like that though, so that's a good point.
Well what's done is done now, and even if I don't get a reply (which I probably won't, knowing manga-ka's) I'm happy that I got to work on this mail and improve my Japanese because of it.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
Lol hey there Liam! I'm AnonStudent from Y!A Glad to see you took my advice. Did you make an account on Lang-8 too?

Also, Mr. Masaegu, since he's trying to say "I bought the Japanese language (version) of your book, (TITLE)." wouldn't ”「(TITLE)」の日本語を買いました。” be a closer translation? Just curious
Woah! What're the chances of that eh! Glad to meet you again
Yeah, it was some great advice. I did make an account, and I'm going to start trying to make a habit of posting journals on there in Japanese regularly to keep my knowledge refreshed and to gain new knowledge too.

As for that addition, I think I learned about it too late so it didn't make the final cut, but I guess it's not too big a deal, I'm pretty sure I got my meaning across.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-19-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Well what's done is done now, and even if I don't get a reply (which I probably won't, knowing manga-ka's) I'm happy that I got to work on this mail and improve my Japanese because of it.
If you used snail mail rather than email, you would have a much bigger chance of getting a reply. No guarantee, though. Depends largely on how popular and busy the artist is. When I was a kid, a friend of mine received an autographed picture postcard from his favorite manga-ka.

Last edited by masaegu : 01-19-2011 at 04:51 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
If you used snail mail rather than email, you would have a much bigger chance of getting a reply. No guarantee, though. Depends largely on how popular and busy the artist is. When I was a kid, a friend of mine received an autographed picture postcard from his favorite manga-ka.
I see, thanks for the tip. I checked the site though and he only gives his e-mail address, and his last news update was in 2008 :L
If I ever find someone to write to again though I'll be sure to snail mail.