JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jvgrek (Offline)
New to JF

Who wants to do a survey to help me with my Japanese class???!! 。。。お願い! - 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM

I have to do a survey for my Japanese Research/日本研究 class. I am currently studying in Kyoto at Ritsumeikan U. Please help me!

留学すること Survey

It is in all Japanese and is about study abroad / 留学すること

Thank you!
よろしくお願いします!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-11-2011, 04:46 PM

I filled out and submitted the survey, but you know that even if you have studied abroad, it still brings up the いいえと page, right?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jvgrek (Offline)
New to JF

01-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Ah yes I did know this, does it make you answer those questions or just fill them out? I never used that survey maker before >< thank you for telling me and thank you sooo soo much for your help!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-11-2011, 05:03 PM

I didn't have to fill out any of the いいえ page questions (I have studied abroad in Japan), yet I was able to submit the form. So it works as it should AFAICT.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-12-2011, 01:29 AM

Just sent it in.

A free piece of linguistic advice: You cannot say 「いいえ」と言った者 to strangers in a survey. That is super-rude. When I saw it, I said to myself, "What terrible things have I done to be addressed 者 by you when it's you asking us a favor??" Look up the word in a good dictionary. And 言う has no place in that, either. Your phrasing is not even neutral; It's disdainful.

You should have at least said 「いいえ」と答えた方. An even better, politer and more participant-friendly phrase would have been 「いいえ」と答えられた方.

Last edited by masaegu : 01-12-2011 at 03:05 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jvgrek (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2011, 06:26 AM

Oh thanks my Japanese teacher's never told me that. She looked at my survey herself and made corrections, but did not mention anything that you did. Perhaps I should mention it to her. We learned 者 as being a respectful term when we leanred the kanji for it though...so now I am confused ><
(#7 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-14-2011, 09:03 AM

If you say “「いいえ」と言った者”, you sound like a dictator.

“質問一番に「いいえ」と選びました,ページ2を見て 下さい。”is strange. This sentence doesn’t make sense. I see what you try to say, but it’s not correct as Japanese.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#8 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to reply
(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
If you say “「いいえ」と言った者”, you sound like a dictator.
Exactly my sentiment. Any 4th-grader would feel that way if a stranger addressed him/her as 者. 

OP is the first person that has addressed me as 者 in my rather long life as a Japanese-speaker and luckily, I already know this will be my last time. That is unless I stumble across another survey by a Ritsumeikan student. j/k

Don't even use 人 with a stranger; Go straight to using 方.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgrek View Post
We learned 者 as being a respectful term when we leanred the kanji for it though...so now I am confused ><
Wow, I'm speechless. Even a regular guy walking down the street like myself knows better! And I teach for free here on JF and elsewhere.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

01-15-2011, 01:12 AM

It is possible that the teacher has poor English as well... The teacher I had was not able to verbally communicate everything she wanted to say in English so sometimes students can be confused.