JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ojamajoz (Offline)
New to JF

I don't know what this guy means... - 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Okay, so I asked someone a question on twitter on why he posts many pictures of his food. He says this:

載せたいからですが

I don't get what he means. I'm guessing "載せる" means "to send out", but what does "載せたい" mean? Does that mean to not send out? Also, the next thing he says is "から", which means "because" I think. Did he just not understand what I said or something? Is he saying something like "just because..."?

So I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what this means. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry guys for starting a new thread. I didn't see the other thread where you post questions on translation. I'm not familiar with this site. Sorry! Mods: just delete this thread if you want.

Last edited by Ojamajoz : 02-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Because I want to share it...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ojamajoz (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Because I want to share it...
Ohh.... So saying ____からです means "Because of ____". But how did you arrive at "Because I want to share it"? Is the "I" part just implied?

Oh yes and thank you for your help!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojamajoz View Post
Ohh.... So saying ____からです means "Because of ____". But how did you arrive at "Because I want to share it"? Is the "I" part just implied?

Oh yes and thank you for your help!
Yes, "I" is implied. You'll find that probably the entire nation of Japan, in aggregate, uses as many explicit pronouns as one Japanese learner does all by himself.

In other words, Japanese learners use わたし・あなた・きみ・など way too much.

And, no, からです does not mean "because of." It means "because." "Because of" means something different than "because," and when I hear "because of" in English, I think 〜で in Japanese. Like おかげさまで、元気です。 "Because of you, I am doing well."

I mean just look at what MMM said. Do you see "of" anywhere in there? "Because of I want to share it" is grammatically incorrect.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 02-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ojamajoz (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2011, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the help! I didn't mean "because of" literally, I just meant it as a simple definition. Aren't you not supposed to translate literally? But anyway, thanks for the help! But would it still be grammatically correct to use something like "海ならです"? Like if you wanted to say "because of the sea"?

Last edited by Ojamajoz : 02-01-2011 at 09:51 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Yes, "I" is implied. You'll find that probably the entire nation of Japan, in aggregate, uses as many explicit pronouns as one Japanese learner does all by himself.

In other words, Japanese learners use わたし・あなた・きみ・など way too much.

And, no, からです does not mean "because of." It means "because." "Because of" means something different than "because," and when I hear "because of" in English, I think 〜で in Japanese. Like おかげさまで、元気です。 "Because of you, I am doing well."

I mean just look at what MMM said. Do you see "of" anywhere in there? "Because of I want to share it" is grammatically incorrect.
This thread would work perfectly in another forum where I am having an exchange of opinions with another guy. In his opinion textbooks should stop using so much the pronouns to teach a more natural way of speaking. In my opinion introducing the "lack" of pronouns to a new beginner (above all if someone used to using pronouns 100% of the times like in English) is a big mistake. It would make learning harder.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-01-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojamajoz View Post
Thanks for the help! I didn't mean "because of" literally, I just meant it as a simple definition. Aren't you not supposed to translate literally? But anyway, thanks for the help! But would it still be grammatically correct to use something like "海ならです"? Like if you wanted to say "because of the sea"?
When would you say "because of the sea"? Context is everything, but なら is not used this way. お天気なら、行きます。If the weather is good, then I will go.

I am thinking of a famous line from a Korean drama dubbed in Japanese:

あなたが好きだから。Because I love you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2011, 09:33 PM

Do you read/listen to a lot of Japanese??

Because if you did....you'll figure this stuff out immediately.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
02-06-2011, 09:55 PM

The South Korean football player, Ki Sung Yueng, posted a picture of food (& a pile of boxes). Its quite a common thing to do, I think. Just saying

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)