JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Digsy (Offline)
New to JF

Valentine's day - 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Hey guys,

I wanted to do something special for Valentine's day so I tried my hand at writing a message that can be inscribed on two keychains and read together or seperatly. It doesn't have to be perfect (as you may be able to guess my Japanese isn't that great) but hopefully there aren't any major grammatical or spelling errors.

君が        大好き。
かわいい     やさしい
面白い      すばらしい。
それから     君だけと
いつも      一緒にほしい。
愛してるよ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2011, 01:48 PM

I think that is nice but for those among us like myself would you tell us the translastions?

I would be very intrested.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digsy View Post
Hey guys,

I wanted to do something special for Valentine's day so I tried my hand at writing a message that can be inscribed on two keychains and read together or seperatly. It doesn't have to be perfect (as you may be able to guess my Japanese isn't that great) but hopefully there aren't any major grammatical or spelling errors.

君が        大好き。
かわいい     やさしい
面白い      すばらしい。
それから     君だけと
いつも      一緒にほしい。
愛してるよ。
1. When linking adjectives, you would say かわいくてやさしくておもしろくてすばらしい.

2. I think a careful writer of Japanese would not put おもしろい in kanji. If you're set on it, you might as well write 可愛い and 素晴らしい as well.

3. "want to be together" is 一緒にいたい not 一緒にほしい.

For the second poster, who wants to know what it says, it basically says "I love you. Cute, gentle, interesting, incredible. Thus I always want to be only with you. I love you."

I'd take a native's opinion on whether おもしろい is really something to say romantically to another.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2011, 01:11 AM

I think you're onto something with your last sentence Kyle-- Personally, I don't know I'd say that to a girl or not. I think a girl could say it to a guy though and it'd be more appropriate for that kind of situation. I'm thinking along the lines of the "funny" side of the word more than the "interesting" translation of it. Like when a guy is kind of flirting and cracking jokes, I think a girl could get away with saying that in a kind of flirtatious way.

As far as ほしい vs ~したい goes, I think of ~(が)欲しい as "want (noun)" and of ~したい as "want to (verb)". Maybe that will help anyone whose interested out. The tricky part is that 欲しい is like an adjective where "want" is like a verb. So I guess it's kind of like "like" vs "好き".
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Digsy (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I've changed it a little to include your suggestions:

Together:

君が       大好き。
かわいくて   やさしくて
楽しくて     すばらしくて。
それから    君だけと
いつも     一緒にいたい。
愛してるよ。

Separately:

きみがかわいくてたのしくてそれからいつも愛してるよ 。

大好き。やさしくてすばらしくて。君だけと一緒にいた い。

I added a くてto the last adjective in the list to imply there are more in this list, is this ok grammatically? Also how wrong is 一緒にほしい? Unintelligible? Because it rhymed a bit better.

Luckily I think I can write off the lack of punctuation as poetic licence. Btw Do you think its ok to use 楽しい in this context? I couldn't really think of any other good i adjectives ...