JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
p0002q (Offline)
New to JF

You fool = Baka, (A group of fools = bakas?) - 02-10-2011, 05:54 PM

To answer to the forums rules, yes I read them. this seemed like a very simple question to me at first, but still...

I checked around and have had minimal luck with google and wiki and other places... and translators... then found a thread post here about it... but was in Japanese characters.

So,

I watch anime... easily picked up that Baka means fool\idiot\etc.

However, can't find out the answer to one question:

If some1 walks in a room, and wished to call everyone in the room a fool @ once... "you FOOLS!" or "BAKAS"

Do they say Bakas (as in plural)? Would that be how it is said verbally, i guess is a better question?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0002q View Post
To answer to the forums rules, yes I read them. this seemed like a very simple question to me at first, but still...

I checked around and have had minimal luck with google and wiki and other places... and translators... then found a thread post here about it... but was in Japanese characters.

So,

If some1 walks in a room, and wished to call everyone in the room a fool @ once... "you FOOLS!" or "BAKAS"

Do they say Bakas (as in plural)? Would that be how it is said verbally, i guess is a better question?
The plural in Japanese is not adding an "s" as it is in English. In most cases the singular and the plural are the same word, so in this case the answer would be "BAKA" to a room full of people.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-10-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The plural in Japanese is not adding an "s" as it is in English. In most cases the singular and the plural are the same word, so in this case the answer would be "BAKA" to a room full of people.
I thought this was going to be a question about how to pluralize the weeabooenglish "baka." I was all set to unload my favorite pseudo-Latin pluralization: "bakae"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0002q View Post

So,

If you want to call a group of people baka you can pluralize the group.. so you could take おまえ (you) add ら (a pluralizer) and say おまえらはばかだ(お前らは馬鹿だ)。

Anyhow if you want to learn Japanese put down that anime and pick up a real textbook.
You are in no position to be learning your Japanese through anime. It is a horrible source for beginners to start out with, unless you are watching chibi maruko or something.. but somehow i doubt that.

Last edited by RickOShay : 02-11-2011 at 12:30 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2011, 04:22 AM

single-plural
fool-fools
馬鹿-馬鹿等(ばから)
馬鹿者-馬鹿者ども
馬鹿者-馬鹿者達

The Japanese suffixes which are equivalent to pleural-indicating "s" or "es" in English would be "ら”, "ども", or "たち(達)".

Hope this helps.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-11-2011, 04:29 AM

You guys realize the OP does not read Japanese, right?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
single-plural
fool-fools
馬鹿-馬鹿等(ばから)
馬鹿者-馬鹿者ども
馬鹿者-馬鹿者達

The Japanese suffixes which are equivalent to pleural-indicating "s" or "es" in English would be "ら”, "ども", or "たち(達)".

Hope this helps.
for what the OP wants to know though I think it is more appropriate to pluralize the group. how exactly would you say "you guys are stupid!" with 馬鹿者達?

anyhow those endings are not equal to the English "es" or "s" considering they would make no sense for other nouns like apples or computers or something.

Last edited by RickOShay : 02-11-2011 at 08:30 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-11-2011, 08:34 AM

why not just use みんなはばかです!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
why not just use みんなはばかです!
because that means "everyone is stupid!" vs, being specific and rude/mean to a group that you want to point out.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-11-2011, 08:45 AM

add a place and then you get "everyone here/there is stupid" so...the same thing.