JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-13-2011, 12:03 AM

comment deleted by user

Last edited by JohnBraden : 02-13-2011 at 04:59 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmod View Post
ive triyed so many years to learn japanese alone without help, nearly every night getting with an mp3 player in my ears listening to japanese lessons (pimsleur)...but it doesnt work i cant hold anything of it in my brain.
i cant find a native speaker for conversations.
watching japanese movies?...most of time they use a slang.

really...dont know what doing im disapointed of my self.
First off, did you learn those 6 other languages as a child? I would imagine that is part of the reason they seem easier to you. But anyhow, like others have been saying, you are not retaining most likely because you lack practice. I do not mean studying necessarily, but you must not be using the language enough. I would suggest you just look harder for an exchange partner, or a pen pal/chat buddy at least. Heck even a friend who is learning the language would be better than nobody. I have seen Japanese people on more than a few occasions speaking English with each other just so they can practice.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-13-2011, 03:41 AM

best way to learn any language -> use it as much as you can

if you can't find native speakers then go for skype, advertise language exchange in one of your 6 languages

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-13-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I lived 21 years in Madrid and learned Spanish before I spoke English. I speak perfect Spanish with a Castilian accent, and, while I didn't go to school for Spanish, I bet I can write, speak and read Spanish better than you'll ever do in Japanese....
Yeah, I'm blocking another user. Hooray for you guys making it easy to know who isn't going to be a good contributor to the site! Two posts in a row you manage to come off as a spectacular asshole.

Also, to get snarky
Quote:
I bet I can write ... better than you'll ever do in Japanese
Yeah, and judging by that sentence, I bet I can write/read/speak English better than you ever will. Congratulations on having perfect grasp of your native language; that's super impressive.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 02-13-2011 at 04:17 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-13-2011, 04:13 AM

You can block users?!
Please tell me how! Sitron's gotta be blocked!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-13-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
You can block users?!
User CP (at top of screen) -> Buddy/Ignore Lists -> type user's name into ignore box, hit save or whatever the button is called, then all threads with the blocked user's posts will hide the post text and say "This user is on your ignore list" instead in a smaller box.

Also, their posts will not mark a thread as having new posts for you.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
You can block users?!
Sitron has gotten his well earned "banned" status now, so I do not think you will have to worry about him.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-13-2011, 06:13 AM

Thanks!
Man am I ever happy to hear that lol.
Although he was the only one that I wanted to block ><

(#19 (permalink))
Old
angelmod (Offline)
New to JF

02-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I'm guessing the six languages were something like German, English, Dutch, Spanish, French, Italian. .
the languages i speak are: german, french, arab, english + 2 arabic dialects.

btw: i know my english is a disaster
(#20 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmod View Post
the languages i speak are: german, french, arab, english + 2 arabic dialects.

btw: i know my english is a disaster
I wouldn't worry, your English is very good. Just so long as you can make your meaning clear - which you can - then I don't see a problem. No one is ever 100% perfect at a language anyway, unless they're native, and even then some native speakers of a language absolutely butcher it! I know my grammar is never always perfect. Well done on speaking so many languages, it's an achievement many people can't claim

I think - as someone said, I forget which poster - that German and French are very similiar to English. English is a Germanic language, we share many root words, but we also have a huge vocabularly from French and Latin. The writing system for European languages is also very similiar/the same. What I mean is that it was perhaps easier for you to learn those languages due to the similiarties, whereas Japanese has no similiarities whatsoever. It will be harder for you, and it will take a lot longer. The fact you seem adept at languages shows that you have the potential to master it - you will just need a lot of time and dedication, a lot of practise, and a good textbook and/or teacher.