JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Does anyone know of any...? - 04-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Yo! I've not started a thread on here for ages...
I've been doing research into language study (as part of my degree, not just randomly) and I've found that it may be beneficial to study a 3rd language on side of a 2nd one. I've found alot of bi-linguals on JF can speak basic amounts or more of a third, fourth or more languages.

So my question is, does anyone know where I can get some "Lets learn Spanish" type resources in Japanese? Preferably in audio, even better if its free. I specifically want to try the "input only" method, if only to test it's validity, so audio books would be cool too if anyone knows any.

Thanks all

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-04-2011, 02:37 PM

Man, I really wanted to help, but every Google result I found was for for-pay lessons. Even filtering out words like プライベート and マンツーマン. :/

I have a few bookmarked in English, but no Japanese (my second language was Spanish, and it's also my wife's native language—in fact, we're going on vacation to a Spanish speaking country in less than a week, so I'd better get my mind back into the language!).

You might start off reading the WP-JP article: スペイン語 - Wikipedia

As a side note, anyone know what ムデハル語 is in English? I found it on the WP-JP page for Spanish. I can't find a translation anywhere, including Wikipedia. It's a language that influenced Spanish a long time ago. I don't recognize the word, but the other two languages listed that influenced Spanish at the same time are モサラベ語 and アラビア語. These I know.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

04-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Man, I really wanted to help, but every Google result I found was for for-pay lessons. Even filtering out words like プライベート and マンツーマン. :/

I tried that too... Was hoping that someone might know of a few hidden gems haha. I'm not really willing to pay to learn because I'm not too fussed wether it works or not.. just want to test the "input hypothesis". Would have been better if I could get audio lessons in Japanese as that would encourage both languages.

Would you mind sharing the ones you've got in English? Do you know of any audiobooks?

Thanks for your help, dude.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-04-2011, 03:39 PM

WikiVerb - Spanish
SpanishDict | Spanish to English Translation, Dictionary & Translator / Diccionario y traductor ingles español
Learn Spanish online

Turns out I've got less than I thought I did. As far as books go:

A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish (the English-language Bible on Spanish grammar, but it's written less for learning in a progression and more as a reference for basically EVERY nitpicky thing you can think of)

I think you'll find Spanish shockingly easy to learn compared to Japanese. Here, let me teach you what would take you two to five years to learn in Japanese:

take the English alphabet
add 'll' = a y-sound
add 'ñ' = a 'ny' sound like in "Enya"
add 'rr' = a rolling 'r' sound like you hear some old timey regal English actors do (off the top of my head, Peter Cushing in Star Wars spoke like this)

All vowels are exactly the same as Japanese.

All consonants are obvious except "z" is an s-sound, "j" is an h-sound as in 'hoopla', "g" before "i" or "e" is an h-sound as in 'hoopla', "q" is a k-sound. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two off the top of my head, but...

OK, now you know how to read everything in Spanish.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

04-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Nothing too serious but you could kill a few minutes on these.

スペイン語学習ゲーム

聞くスペイン語 Escucha español

And for your tea break, watch:
YouTube - 笑い飯 スペイン語漫才
YouTube - 笑い飯 スペイン語漫才 2

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-04-2011, 05:16 PM

There are also a surprising number of Japanese people studying Spanish. When I attended university in Tokyo, it seemed that after English and Chinese, Spanish was the most popular (I heard my alma mater Japonica was known for its international studies program).

In fact, on my airplane ride to Japan to begin classes, the guy sitting next to me was Japanese and flying back from studying in Peru or somewhere in South America. We ended up having some kind of English/Japanese/Spanish conversation.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 04-04-2011 at 05:22 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

04-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Thanks, fellas. That's exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for! I lol'd really hard at part 1 of that video Masaegu! I'll have to watch the 2nd one tomorrow.

I heard that Spanish was the worlds 2nd lang so I thought I'd give it a try for nothing. As awesome as Japanese is, there's not that many people to share it with in England lol. Not many spanish either, like.. But you get t'idea. Aeroplane convos are great. On my way back from Japan I ended up having to translate back and forth between a JP passenger and the air hostesses. Kept me on my toes lol.

Do you guys have any views on the 'input hypothesis'? Can a person really passively learn a language just by listening to it for an extended amount of time?

(#8 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Just an opinion. When it comes to Japanese researches I never use Google. I always much more returns when I search with yahoo.jp

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ