(#21 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carano View Post
Thanks alot for the tips guys!

I ordered that 'Remembering the Kana' book today. But I have to pick it up next week. I'll also be buying a few more books over the next few weeks.

Do you think I should wait til I receive that, and learn the Kana before carrying on with language programs?

Also, where would I purchase some children manga as suggested, like 'Doraemon' ? ...Obviously I'm not in a hurry for these yet, but just so I know where to look, for when I do.

Thanks!
It is my opinion that Doraemon and other kids' manga are harder to read for Japanese newbies than teenager-oriented manga because of the lack of kanji. Because there is a lack of kanji, you will find it pretty difficult, giving your miniscule Japanese vocabulary and knowledge of grammar and particles, to actually know where one word ends and another begins. You will, accordingly, find it very difficult to look up one word at a time.

I say this as someone who was given a Doraemon and a Blackjack manga (a pretty advanced manga) in high school. I could read the BJ much more easily than the Doraemon because, with kanji all over the place, it is easier to know what is a single word to look up in the dictionary. Ranma was easier than Doraemon, too, for the same reason.

Also, it is my opinion that buying a book just to learn kana is a waste. Even the laziest person (with adequate free time) should be able to learn all hiragana in a month using only this image: http://shoko8948.up.seesaa.net/image...na_no_hyou.gif. A dedicated person can do it in a week or less.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 04-22-2011 at 09:50 PM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-22-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
It is my opinion that Doraemon and other kids' manga are harder to read for Japanese newbies than teenager-oriented manga because of the lack of kanji. Because there is a lack of kanji, you will find it pretty difficult, giving your miniscule Japanese vocabulary and knowledge of grammar and particles, to actually know where one word ends and another begins. You will, accordingly, find it very difficult to look up one word at a time.

I say this as someone who was given a Doraemon and a Blackjack manga (a pretty advanced manga) in high school. I could read the BJ much more easily than the Doraemon because, with kanji all over the place, it is easier to know what is a single word to look up in the dictionary. Ranma was easier than Doraemon, too, for the same reason.

Also, it is my opinion that buying a book just to learn kana is a waste. Even the laziest person (with adequate free time) should be able to learn all hiragana in a month using only this image: http://shoko8948.up.seesaa.net/image...na_no_hyou.gif. A dedicated person can do it in a week or less.
Hmmm interesting experience, I find children books and manga a pretty easy way to follow, despite the lack of Kanji... though, the copy of Doraemon I have (i got it from japan in 2007) has quite a bit of Kanji... i also got a copy of GTO Shonan 14 days, which also has Kanji all over it.. the exception is that in Doraemon, most of the Kanji has small print beside them with Hiragana spelling out how its pronounced, with GTO, there were hardly any hiragana "help" at all

anyways, everyone's learning experieince is different, it was just easier for me to start from Children's book before... Though I love reading car magazines.... especially the Q&A section, which give me a good sense of how people actually talk... reading people's post on 2 channel also help a bit...
(#23 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Hmmm interesting experience, I find children books and manga a pretty easy way to follow, despite the lack of Kanji... though, the copy of Doraemon I have (i got it from japan in 2007) has quite a bit of Kanji... i also got a copy of GTO Shonan 14 days, which also has Kanji all over it.. the exception is that in Doraemon, most of the Kanji has small print beside them with Hiragana spelling out how its pronounced, with GTO, there were hardly any hiragana "help" at all
Interesting. Maybe my volume is different (it was a gift from a penpal who knew I was an absolute beginner) or I'm misremembering. This was years ago.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Carano (Offline)
New to JF

04-27-2011, 07:57 PM

I appreciate your opinions, although sometimes you appear abit too harsh, lol.

Anyway, what would you suggest I start with as a starting point then. as apparently Rosetta Stone is a waste of time?

I'm more interested in the reading side, as opposed to speaking. Although I'd like to speak it, reading and listening are my priority.

I'd like to get used to the sentence structure and learn things without having to constantly stick my nose in a dictionary.

Any other books?

Japanesepod101.com?

Should I avoid language learning programs, such as Pimsleur?

Thanks.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-27-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your opinions, although sometimes you appear abit too harsh, lol.

Anyway, what would you suggest I start with as a starting point then. as apparently Rosetta Stone is a waste of time?

I'm more interested in the reading side, as opposed to speaking. Although I'd like to speak it, reading and listening are my priority.

I'd like to get used to the sentence structure and learn things without having to constantly stick my nose in a dictionary.

Any other books?

Japanesepod101.com?

Should I avoid language learning programs, such as Pimsleur?

Thanks.
There's a search button at the top of this page. Use it. This question has been asked and answered about a hundred times.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Carano (Offline)
New to JF

04-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
There's a search button at the top of this page. Use it. This question has been asked and answered about a hundred times.
Ermm, there's too many results. Why should I trawl through them in the hope of finding something that I'm looking for, when I'm not actually sure what is best for me? Hence me asking a simple question, hoping for an answer without some smart ass and his fluent Japanese e-penis taking a wobbly?

Hence, also, I would have just used Google if this was the case, no?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-27-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Why should I trawl through them in the hope of finding something that I'm looking for
It's nice to see someone admit their selfishness straight up.

Your question was "How should I study Japanese?" It does not seem too specific where reading any number of threads answering this question won't do. You've staked out the position that "I don't want to read threads; I'd rather make you JFers answer this question again." There are a number of very good posts on this subject on this board already. Anything you get in this thread will almost assuredly not get such a good response: I'm tired of answering this question, and I suspect the other advanced learners are, too. My suggestion was intended to be helpful to all.

The fact that you mistake my suggestion for waving an "e-peen" reveals your immaturity. I have no need to read anything you write ever again, so I'm blocking you.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Carano (Offline)
New to JF

04-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Ha, whatever.

I totally appreciate people that have gave me advice in this thread.

You however, were arrogant and rude from the first post I ever saw from you, with your 'immature' /sarcasm tag in this thread. So much for trying to help people, yeah?

After a look at some more of your posts, it proves my point. Arrogance, and thinking you're better than the 'newbies.'

Why use forums at all? Just tell everyone to use the 'search' that is Google, eh?

Last edited by Carano : 04-28-2011 at 07:49 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Turn your anger, dissapointment and the feelings of being mistreated into positive energy and apply it accordingly in everything you do.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Carano (Offline)
New to JF

04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Turn your anger, dissapointment and the feelings of being mistreated into positive energy and apply it accordingly in everything you do.
Lol, I'm not angry... But thanks.. I guess?

Anyway... Can you recommend a decent book that would give me a better understanding of the Japanese sentence structure / grammar ?

I've realised that these 'language programs' will, at best, give me basic 'tourist' speech. Which I guess is a fairly decent start, but certainly not what I need.

I'd like to be able to deconstruct sentences myself and see how they're put together. Without just remembering this 'robot' tourist speak. I won't have to ask where the nearest train station is, etc.