JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ethan9219 (Offline)
New to JF

Translating some Japanese letters to English - 04-15-2009, 02:50 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a question/problem/situation that I am hoping somebody may be able to help with.

My elderly grandfather is pretty sick, and we don’t know how long he may be with us. He has given me some old Japanese letters that he says were taken or sent by a Japanese POW prisoner, or something along those lines. He gave them to me because I spent a little time last year as an exchange student in Japan. And I agreed to help him as I didn’t have the heart to tell him I don’t really *know* Japanese.

So, the documents may be a little old, but hopefully still readable. I mean, I’ve seen them and I can make out the Kanji quite clearly, but I haven’t a clue as to what any of it means. Really, I guess, even if he could be given the basic gist of the letters or something, I think it would give him some peace or comfort finally knowing what the letters mean.

So, if I upload them, is there anybody here who may be able to lend a hand by having a stab at translating them?

ありがとう、
イーサン
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 04:20 AM

If you want help here then scan them and post the pictures. That is a big request to ask for strangers for free. (I translate for a living and could do it if you had a translation budget)...but you might get some help if you post them.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ethan9219 (Offline)
New to JF

04-17-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you want help here then scan them and post the pictures. That is a big request to ask for strangers for free. (I translate for a living and could do it if you had a translation budget)...but you might get some help if you post them.
Yeah, i know. I'm definitely asking a lot, especially since i don't actually have any money. I guess i'm not looking for a full, proper translation of everything, just the general idea or something like that. But then, i don't really know much about translations.

But,thanks for your reply, will definitely upload the pictures and hope for the best.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Two weeks later and they're still not uploaded. I was hoping to get a look-see at them.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tarto (Offline)
New to JF

05-04-2009, 07:44 AM

I would also be really interested in seeing those letters. It's not the kind of material you get to read everyday!...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-04-2009, 07:51 PM

I've read WWII-era stuff. It's a bit tricky to get used to seeing weird stuff like ちゅうくわみんこく for "China" (I think that's how it was written—manchukwo), 洋 being read as やう rather than よう, etc.

It would be interesting to see the letters. Sadly, I think OP has punked out.