JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   survey (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/37442-survey.html)

evanny 05-20-2011 09:26 AM

survey

i had to make a survey for my studies. so i decided that i would do that by comparing 3 groups of respondents.
1. people who study about Japan
2. people who don't
3. and Japanese themselves
i have answers form the first two.
i have 6 simple questions with answers offered about katana. i did my best with what i have learned so far to translate the questions for japanese and i hope i did it right.
so. i would greatly appreciate anyone's help by answering these and sending me an answer in a form of a private message showing the number of the question and number of the answer.
1.刀はどんな代がありましたか。
室町時代
鎌倉時代
江戸時代
2.刀の長さは平均で何尺ですか。

3.大小の違いは何ですか
脇差と刀
小楯と刀
お辞儀と刀
4.刀でどんな鋼がありますか
玉鋼
不銹鋼
軽銀
5.家に刀はありますか
はい
いいえ
6. 剣術はオリンピックのスポーツの中でありますか。
はい
いいえ
thank you.

KyleGoetz 05-20-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanny (Post 865552)
2.刀の長さは平均で何尺ですか。

Egh. I'm too lazy to look it up—1尺 is approximately a meter, right?

masaegu 05-20-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 865571)
Egh. I'm too lazy to look it up—1尺 is approximately a meter, right?

No, it's about 30 cm, almost equal to a foot.

evanny 05-20-2011 04:40 PM

masaegu, for giving out the answers i will be waiting for your reply also :D

masaegu 05-20-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanny (Post 865596)
masaegu, for giving out the answers i will be waiting for your reply also :D

The first question is a little unclear. What did you mean to ask? Can you rephrase the question?

evanny 05-20-2011 05:32 PM

時代 (jidai) was what i meant. like from what era...
also i am still not sure if in this cases どんな was the right choice.

masaegu 05-20-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanny (Post 865603)
時代 (jidai) was what i meant. like from what era...

Well, I had probably put it too vaguely in my last post. :) Thing is, even if you replace 代 by 時代, the sentence 「刀はどんな時代がありましたか」 still doesn't make much sense.

Are you asking "In which periods did the katana exist?"? That would be my best guess. In case that is what you meant to ask, can we choose more than one periods?

evanny 05-20-2011 06:02 PM

i prefer if you used one.
i know there are still disagreements about the exact period for katana since 太刀 (tachi) was its predecessor and very similar in respects. basically katana was simply shorter and wasn't hung from obi.

well, a hint. not long after "official" katana, a certain warrior class started wearing daishou as "official" weapons :cool:

masaegu 05-20-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanny (Post 865608)
i prefer if you used one.
i know there are still disagreements about the exact period for katana since 太刀 (tachi) was its predecessor and very similar in respects. basically katana was simply shorter and wasn't hung from obi.

well, a hint. not long after "official" katana, a certain warrior class started wearing daishou as "official" weapons :cool:

OK, I will send you my answers shortly.

evanny 05-20-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 865609)
OK, I will send you my answers shortly.

thanks.
by the way, if you know any other japanese who would have 20 secondes to spare, please ask them. so far i've received 2 replies... :cool: