LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I suppose I wondered how to abbreviate the japanese calligraphy?
There's not really a need to; the phone does all the hard script work for you; all you have to do is type in the phonics that make it up. But of course, people will shorten things, just like we use u instead of you in English. It's slang. Like they'll use a romaji 'W' or the character '笑’ to mean 'わらい(笑い)’ or laugh, just like we use LOL.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-26-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
thank you.
How did someone from England not catch Shad0w's sarcasm? Aren't you supposed to be the masters of it?

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 06-26-2011 at 06:03 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

06-26-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Hi shadow so pleased you almost died-- but why only ALMOST? why not finish the job.
No sense of sarcasm AND can't take a joke? Sure your a Brit?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
How did someone from England not catch Shad0w's sarcasm? Aren't you supposed to be the masters of it?

um== is that so? I was not expecting a joke at my expense. it was more to make me look a fool.

I asked a straightforward question-- did not expect a "CLEVER" reply.

They do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

by the way shadow Your command of English isn't so hot either. don't you know the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE?

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 06-26-2011 at 08:46 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
There's not really a need to; the phone does all the hard script work for you; all you have to do is type in the phonics that make it up. But of course, people will shorten things, just like we use u instead of you in English. It's slang. Like they'll use a romaji 'W' or the character '笑’ to mean 'わらい(笑い)’ or laugh, just like we use LOL.
thanks Columbine.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Ignore the first answer you received on here...

Japanese phones started out with half-width character text messages - a carry over from the pager days. Your phone had to be on to receive the message, as it was sent directly to the phone number. This died out pretty quickly, and was replaced with email-like systems. This also hit a dead end, and now all Japanese phones use regular email. There is no limit on the number of characters or anything like that.

In other words, it`s much more free than SMS.

For some weird reason, people overseas seem to assume that if SMS isn`t used, that you can`t send text in Japan. This is hilarious, as people send countless numbers of "mail" to each other. It`s far far more common than actually calling someone.
Just like SMS overseas.

To be compatible with the international market, phones also support SMS - but no one uses it as far as I can tell. There is no advantage to it, really. Character numbers are limited, and it actually costs more than just emailing someone from my phone (Which is technically free for most people as almost everyone has unlimited data plans). When people exchange cell numbers, it`s usually done by IR between the phones - and includes their cell email info.
thank you also Nyrororin. I think I should have said the abbreviations or shorthand used in texting. As far as modern technology is concerned I definitely feel like a new kid in kindergarten LOL No idea what IR stands for.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
um== is that so? I was not expecting a joke at my expense. it was more to make me look a fool.
You don't have to take it so personally; it wasn't to make you look like a fool—it was to make Shad0w look funny (and I think it succeeded). But we were once in the same boat: When I first joined XO, I hate-hate-hated Shad0w. But he grew on me (as he predicted way back in Winter 2008).
Quote:
They do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
The people who say that aren't very funny.
Quote:
by the way shadow Your command of English isn't so hot either. don't you know the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE?
It's dangerous to criticize other people's English when you make mistakes yourself.
Quote:
I don't know what IR is
IR stands for "infrared" here. Japanese phones can point to each other and communicate via IR (transfer contact information à la digital business cards, etc.).

Finally, to be fair to Shad0w, I think it's OK to take the piss when a poster with nearly 2000 posts on JF does not know that Japanese people use text messages. Were you a poster with one or two posts, it might be a little less warranted. But, come on, you're part of our community now; aren't we allowed to take the piss a little?

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 06-26-2011 at 09:00 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-26-2011, 09:44 PM

I don't think sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I think sitcoms are,or anything that offends people it shouldn't.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
I don't think sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
It's a phrase/comeback. Like "it doesn't take a genius" or along those lines.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Finally, to be fair to Shad0w, I think it's OK to take the piss when a poster with nearly 2000 posts on JF does not know that Japanese people use text messages. Were you a poster with one or two posts, it might be a little less warranted. But, come on, you're part of our community now; aren't we allowed to take the piss a little?
I am going to disagree when the question is one of this type. If she`d been asking if Japanese people took baths, or something so incredibly obvious to be silly... Then it would have been warranted. But to me it wasn`t funny, and just got an eyeroll from me.

It`s not odd at all to wonder how Japanese input messages on their cell phones as SMS has such an incredible culture of abbreviation... And Japanese has a different more complex writing system.

-------

Quote:
Phones in English also use predictive input, so that`s not what prompts the abbreviations.
It`s the limitations of SMS. You can only input so many characters (I believe 160 or less?) so there is a necessity for abbreviation to fit the entire message.
As Japanese phone users don`t bother with the highly limited SMS system and use straight email, there is no need to cut down the number of characters being used. As there has never really been much reason to abbreviate, there is no real phone related abbreviation going on.

Not to say that there is no abbreviation - Japanese tends to abbreviate things all the time, in both text and speech. But not in the way of making a kanji easier to write, but in making the word shorter or more fluid to say.

Internet has it`s small handful of slang. For example, the w example given above. It only works on a keyboard where you input in romaji. On a cell it is an incredible pain, so you don`t see it in phone mail much.
Another good one is orz - a little person collapsing either in despair or exasperation.
kwsk - in more detail
(ry - you know the rest
wktk - I am so looking forward to this/that

etc etc etc
But again, these are keyboard based. You will rarely see them used in messages sent from phones.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 06-27-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fixed typo