JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-14-2011, 10:25 AM

I`ve asked two people today, and both said it was a highly stylized 雅.
I don`t know anything about calligraphy, but one of them was a 書道 teacher and the other studied classical Japanese... So I am willing to accept their interpretations.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-14-2011, 11:15 AM

This would explain the vertical line, however i doubt this is 雅. As much as the left hand side radical fits, the bottom-right side of that cursive hand of 隹 on the glass does not make any sense.

Edit: an idea just entered my brain. What if this is a combination of two cursive forms. (福 and 雅).
Bottom-right curve has evident features of 福, and both left-hand side radicals of both kanji have nearly identical cursive form.

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-14-2011 at 11:22 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
neophyte (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
This would explain the vertical line, however i doubt this is 雅. As much as the left hand side radical fits, the bottom-right side of that cursive hand of 隹 on the glass does not make any sense.

Edit: an idea just entered my brain. What if this is a combination of two cursive forms. (福 and 雅).
Bottom-right curve has evident features of 福, and both left-hand side radicals of both kanji have nearly identical cursive form.
All I can say is WOW! Is this way beyond my expectations!!

Thanks to all of you who have responded/contributed.

Please let me know if further images would help answer some of these cursive questions.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-15-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
All I can say is WOW! Is this way beyond my expectations!!

Thanks to all of you who have responded/contributed.

Please let me know if further images would help answer some of these cursive questions.
If these glasses actually come from Japan, it is very difficult for me to believe that the kanji is because it is not such a "popular" kanji among us at all. It is rarely the kanji we would select to write/carve/inscribe on products either for personal or public use. Many Japanese would even have a fairly negative image about the kanji for one of its meanings "monetary success". The Japanese would hide it if they had a desire to make much money. We would not "display" that sort of a desire. Among the Chinese, however, it is an extremely popular character. Go to any Chinese-owned restaurant and you will see it written someplace.

is a popular kanji meaning "elegance" among the Japanese. It carries absolutely no negative meanings for the Japanese mind.

As to what the kanji in question looks like, all you could receive would be personal opinions. So, I decided to provide some fact-based information.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.