LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I would be very careful about characterizing dialects and accents as "hick" or uneducated. It would be along the lines of, say, characterizing anyone who lives in the Southern US as being hick or uneducated. Some areas just have stronger and more obvious accents - differing from the standard accent doesn`t mean uneducated. Especially when it is presented as spoken dialogue.
I goofed and mixed up concepts. I was contrasting a hick accent (like I grew up with, being from coastal Texas) with being an uneducated hick because this is 1945 Japan and he's from a small town, so he probably wouldn't have as much opportunity to even hear about typhus, other than knowing it's one of the 法定伝染病.

Quote:
Oh, and typhoid is a completely different illness that isn`t related to typhus. If the character is saying チブス instead of チフス, they`re just using an older word for the illness.
And there's me being an uneducated hick.

I actually was going to wake up this morning and Google "difference typhus typhoid" because my subconscious in my sleep had warned me I should do that.

Thanks!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
07-16-2011, 06:48 PM

your son is getting big...

Hokuriku hougen is hard, but not too hard if you have any familiarity with kansai ben...they have some similarities like "ya" and "n"

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-17-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
your son is getting big...
Actually, that video is about 5 years old. My son is the little one in the front.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-17-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
None of them are 関東 in any way shape or form. They were all born and have spent the majority of their lives in a single, rather small, area.
To me, the speech of the lady on right has some Eastern-Japan features, which is why I got excited watching this video because the gentleman's speech had Kansai-influenced patterns as in 「どこ行ったか知らん」.

Lady on right says 「けえった」 to mean「帰った」. 「けえった」 is used by not a few tough guys around Tokyo. She also says 「いんのか」 to mean 「いるのか」, which also is heard quite often around Tokyo. I am not saying these people have lived in Kanto or Kansai. I am merely looking at their speech.

I noticed this East-meets-West sort of dialect clash (fusion?) even when I went to Fukui as a kid and when I revisited several years ago.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.

Last edited by masaegu : 07-17-2011 at 04:59 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-17-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
To me, the speech of the lady on right has some Eastern-Japan features, which is why I got excited watching this video because the gentleman's speech had Kansai-influenced patterns as in 「どこ行ったか知らん」.
When I pointed out that they were all from a very small area, it wasn`t so much in response to your post but to KyleGoetz`s. I figured that someone may misunderstand and think they were from all different areas of Japan, when really it`s just the similarities in the dialects.

Quote:
She also says 「いんのか」 to mean 「いるのか」, which also is heard quite often around Tokyo.
Actually, it`s not for いるのか, but for いないのか. In the Fukui area, いる is usually いる or おる (with いるのか ending up いるんか or おるんか), but いない is either いん or えん.

Quote:
I noticed this East-meets-West sort of dialect clash (fusion?) even when I went to Fukui as a kid and when I revisited several years ago.
Part of it is also a bit of difference between masculine and feminine. The man is using (to my ears) almost the exact same dialect as the woman on the right - it`s just a gender difference. But... My judging of same vs. different for the dialects is based on that group of people. The men from that area talk like him, the women tend to talk like her.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Actually, it`s not for いるのか, but for いないのか. In the Fukui area, いる is usually いる or おる (with いるのか ending up いるんか or おるんか), but いない is either いん or えん.
Thanks for the clarification. In that case, this is far more complicated than I had thought. I actually did feel like a foreigner and almost fainted when the lady on left said 「えんと思うわ」 because I had never heard anything even close to it before.

I am starting to think that my rather extensive experience with the dialectal differences on the Pacific Ocean side of the country should not even be applied here. A lesson learned.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

07-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Actually, that video is about 5 years old. My son is the little one in the front.
hah, really? maybe my memory is fading... lol

if you wonder what i'm referring to, check your PMs from a while back

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-18-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
hah, really? maybe my memory is fading... lol

if you wonder what i'm referring to, check your PMs from a while back
You`ll have to refresh my memory. Unfortunately, every 0 post new member seems to think that I a) will magically give them a ticket to Japan and a place to live, b) am Japanese and will want to have sex with them, c) want to be friends with someone who sends "hi be my friend i luv japan", or d) will answer random questions like "hey, what is japan like?"...

So I tend to clear my messages very frequently and forget about them pretty quickly. Sorry.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
07-19-2011, 05:13 AM

I just showed this to my friend from Shizuoka. His eyes got all wide at the man speaking, saying he found it SOOO weird. xD

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

07-19-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
You`ll have to refresh my memory. Unfortunately, every 0 post new member seems to think that I a) will magically give them a ticket to Japan and a place to live, b) am Japanese and will want to have sex with them, c) want to be friends with someone who sends "hi be my friend i luv japan", or d) will answer random questions like "hey, what is japan like?"...

So I tend to clear my messages very frequently and forget about them pretty quickly. Sorry.
lol @ B

i'll send ya a pm to remind you

ホラ顔上げぇな・・