LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-18-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Wait. Is it 「山峡之秋」 that you guys are calling a 四字熟語? If so, that it no 四字熟語; It is just a phrase.
My mistake. I always thought any 4-character phrase, particularly those from a Chinese work, would be called a 4字熟語. Lesson learned!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dmeyers (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2011, 02:29 PM

High Kyle,
Googling and should be working. Decided to throw the pics of the scroll up here after finding you LOL. Hopefully these are better than what I sent you. Hope you all enjoy them. I see the puzzle is starting to come together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scroll.JPG (97.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg scroll3.JPG (88.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg scroll 2.JPG (98.4 KB, 24 views)
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dmeyers (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2011, 02:48 PM

Here is a much clearer picture of the seal I was able to take
Attached Images
File Type: jpg se.JPG (95.6 KB, 24 views)
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Beautiful work. It reminds me of classical Chinese ink-paintings. 山峡之秋 in its full glory.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dmeyers (Offline)
New to JF

07-21-2011, 02:10 PM

Any idea of who the artist is, or it's value, I know most times these are almost impossible to figure out but it's worth a shot. I would really like to get this insured, if it has value.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-21-2011, 02:38 PM

The artist is Matsuda Shunhou. I'm sorry; I thought I clarified that in one of my emails to you.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-21-2011, 06:07 PM

@dmeyers look at the beginning of the thread, I explained it there.
I can add that the last sig. picture you posted is much more crisp and one can appreciate the brushwork of this master. He is skilled in both disciplines (calligraphy and ink-painting) and dead as well (sadly), so his works might be quite pricey. Also, he is listed in the Japanese artists DB. I gave a link to his name few posts back.

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-21-2011 at 06:10 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
dmeyers (Offline)
New to JF

07-21-2011, 07:00 PM

I would like to thank you all for your help, guess I'll need to get this apraised now for insurance and probably look into getting this framed behind some UV glass. It is way too nice to have rolled up on a shelf where nobody can enjoy it. Although I may have to take out a loan to do it, this painting is 54" long I can imagine it's not going to be cheap to get done correctly. Take care everyone. It has been nice meeting you.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-21-2011, 07:35 PM

If this work is framed as hanging scroll (掛け軸), with a wooden axis at the bottom, etc., then removing it from its original framingand inserting it into a glass frame, will significantly reduce its value. When I have more time, I should write a post on my blog about hanging scroll handling, so you wll know how to do it. How did you obtain the work. Wasn't it packed in a wooden box?

Post a picture of the bottom of that scroll, with clear close ups on the foldings of materiall, etc. so then I can see how it's been made. If this scoll is hand-made, and I presume it is, you will ruin it by reframing it.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
dmeyers (Offline)
New to JF

07-21-2011, 07:47 PM

It was just rolled up on my dad's dresser for years. I talked to my mom and she said he actually got it as a tag along piece at an estate auction when he bought a box of 1800's bibles he wanted. Currently it is just attached to the paper on the scroll by a few pieces of tape.